Who else is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einstein

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just as a matter of interest, what other non-DUK charities, support groups, publications, clubs etc are ther in the UK for diabetics?

Both for adults and children, it would be interesting to compile a list of all such bodies. As some of you will know, I for one have little time for Diabetes UK, I feel they are letting UK diabetics down quite significantly.

So, excluding here and your medical team, where would you turn for support and information on diabetes and how do you honestly rate their support?

For me, this is it, but then I haven't really looked for anything else, other than random stuff I've googled.

xx

No idea! once I stumbled across this place I stopped looking, Last week when I had a few issues I phoned my nursey, she soon sorted me out.

I too would be interested in other support groups but haven't been brave enough to ask others where else they go.

I like JDRF so far as a charity, although my main source of information and support is here. Interestingly, DUK were supposed to be kickstarting the Southampton support group last month. I couldn't attend the first meeting, but I sent an email asking to be informed of future meetings. Yesterday in the hospital I noticed some flyers for a meeting on 15th October, but I haven't had any communication from DUK via email. If your only chance of knowing these events are being organised is a random coincidence with your once-a-year hospital appointments, what hope of success is there?

Just thought I'd throw that in!😉

I also use diabetesbuddies, which I came across by accident. I know there are lots of other places, but this is the best one I've found so far.

I've been once to the Kent 3D group, which is linked to DUK, am found it good, hope to get to the next meet up if I'm not working.

I get information and support from the Exeter MODY research website and team,

I have used many diabetes forums and like this the best, diabetesdaily and diabetesforums are both very good though, more US members though

I've been once to the Kent 3D group, which is linked to DUK, am found it good, hope to get to the next meet up if I'm not

I've also been to that one, despite living in Norfolk! I'm trying to set a similar group here, but having all sorts of issues with it at the moment, DUK seem to be throwing a spanner in the works and the person helping me has gone AWOL, nothing's ever easy!

I've also tried other forums but this is the only one I visit regularly.

erm if I mention DSFUK, would it count as advertising? 😛

erm if I mention DSFUK, would it count as advertising? 😛

Cheeky! But no 🙂 I recently found a forum http://diabetesforlife.freeforums.org/index.php . It's interesting seeing these new forums and trying to encourage them to get going. I also post and read on dLife, which is chiefly North American. I joined up to loads more, but rarely post as I find I don't have time.

I certainly think there's room for many forums - each may have that certain 'something' that suits. Some people don't like busy forums with lots of members as they feel a bit lost. Other forums can be a bit 'cliquey', so people feel like interlopers. Others may provide and instant affinity to newly-diagnosed, low-carbers, pumpers etc.

Hello!
I've come across some other support groups as part of my writing.
JDRF are very good. They've helped me out loads for case studies, and do very important work. (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)
I've also encountered the Diabetes Research & Wellness Foundation who were very nice. www.drwf.org.uk
I've written about a small but growing organisation in East Sussex called Dizzy. They're a social enterprise who operate a number of 'charity' shops and turn the profits into support groups, 'Dizzy Days' and supplying info and equipment for a local diabetes unit. www.dizzy.org.uk.
If I think of any more I'll let you know.
S.

heh in that case I will be cheeky...... 😉

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla
Articles, blogs on frontpage, forum, chatroom, second life presence etc etc etc.

There's various forums out there from the 3 major UK ones, various international ones, a DAFNE-focussed one (where they seem to take the "eat what you like" tagline too literally and bizarrely seem to shun anyone who's not done DAFNE), obsessive low carber forums etc.

Its mostly down to personal preference though and how you respond to the general "atmosphere" of a forum. So no, we are not really in "competition" 😉

If you're looking for sites for information rather than online communities tho, thats a whole different kettle of fish and the list could be massive.

MAD for mountain activities; Runsweet for all sports

For mountain activities, there's MAD (Mountains for Active Diabetics) http://diabetic.friendsinhighplaces.org/ and for all athletes, there's Runsweet http://www.runsweet.com/ . MAD is an informal international group of people linked by diabetes and love of mountains. Both MAD and Runsweet have discussion forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back