Which pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliciaE

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

I’ve been offered a pump on the NHS which I am very happy about. They have given me the choice of Omnipod, tslim and Medtronic 770. I am looking for advice and reviews on the pods please.

Thank you 🙂

@AliciaE all pumps on offer are good pumps. The right pump is the one that is suitable for you.
I recommend making a list of the features that are important for you and comparing each pump with your needs. For example, ...
- do you have a preference for patch or tube pump?
- how do you want to control the pump? Direct on the device? On a separate PDM (remote control)? On a phone app?
- is size important? I want my pump to be discrete and as I am petite, I found my first pump unable to hide so felt my diabetes was always on show.
- how much insulin do you use for 3 days and can a single cartridge hold enough insulin?
- how dextrous are you? Some pumps are easier to "change sets" than others.

As @helli has said the right pump is the one that suits what you want.
It is hard to know before you start to use one, but there are the basics that Helli has listed. I would add in the potential for closed loop, which is only possible at present with the T-slim and Medtronic 780.

I use a Medtronic 780 having previously used an Accu-Chek combo (no longer available) I use closed loop with my pump but currently self fund my sensors to make it closed loop. There is potential for the sensors that link to the pump to become available on NHS in the future. The closed loop leaves me with a lot less thinking about my diabetes but it does not do everything for me. It is also important to know how to use it in manual mode for those times when the auto mode is not available. Happy to answer any questions

Thank you. I’ve made pros and cons lists and I’m swaying towards the t slim. I thought I’d probably prefer the omnipod but the tslim has so many good reviews and closed loop like you said.
I have Dexcom one currently but my hospital have said they will upgrade it once I’m on the pump.

Thank you for all your help ☺️ I’ve only ever been on MDI since I was diagnosed 20 years ago so it’s a lot to think about!

We use the T-slim paired with Dexcom G6, and have recently upgraded the pump software to Control-IQ which is hybrid closed loop. It’s not perfect, because nothing is, but the amount of time spent in range must have increased quite a lot as we get far fewer alarms now and some days the track is amazing, a few bumps but mostly just chugging along in the middle and never going really high or low. I’d highly recommend it, although I’m not the one wearing it, i think my daughter would recommend it too. Will be interesting to see what her next hba1c is, I think we’re next in clinic in February!

Omnipod are bringing out closed loop. It's available in the States and has it's CE mark for UK / EU. The advantage of Omnipod over Tslim is no tubing to manage. You just stick it to yourself. The disadvantage is that you will need to change the pump every 3 days or when it gets empty (it holds 200 units).

The TSlim is higher capacity and you only need to change the infusion cannula every 3 days. The downside is that the tubing can get in the way, and you still need to have the pump strapped to you in a carry pouch or some such - and that includes at night (if you sleep in the buff, that can be a problem). Many people don't like the cumbersome nature of the tubing connecting the pump to the cannula.

That said, the TSlim gets great reviews for reliability and ease of use. Omnipods can be a bit hit and miss, and my daughter often goes high once they start to get empty. They do occasionally get knocked off, whereas you can detach the TSlim for sport (although you then aren't getting any insulin). My daughter uses the Omnipod and gets on fairly well with it. I'm hoping that we get Omnipod 5 soon as the Dash is getting a bit old.

Whilst some people don't like the tubes, there is an advantage of it regarding pump placement. You need a larger flat, scar free area to place a patch pump which could irritate if you are allergic to the glue.

Thank you. I’ve made pros and cons lists and I’m swaying towards the t slim. I thought I’d probably prefer the omnipod but the tslim has so many good reviews and closed loop like you said.
I have Dexcom one currently but my hospital have said they will upgrade it once I’m on the pump.

Thank you for all your help ☺️ I’ve only ever been on MDI since I was diagnosed 20 years ago so it’s a lot to think about!

Hopefully towards end of year Omnipod 5 will be available in UK, it integrates with Dexcom G6 to form closed loop system, will be changing over myself when time comes.

Didn't really fancy tubed pump so that is why opted for Omnipod, but tbh they all do much the same, good vids on YouTube explains pros & cons of different manufacturers.

Hi @AliciaE I'm currently on the T2:Slim pump and have been for a year now. Before that I was on the Accucheck Insight pump.
As a pump it is good, when I started on it I was unsure if it was going to break (the insight felt bomb proof) but it has lasted the test of time well.
The touchscreen is a bit irritating sometimes but the size and weight a real benefit. I am linked up to my Dexcom and the auto shut off really helps me in the night time - since having the pump I think I have reduced night time hypos by about 60% - or at least waking up from low blood sugar. I don't use it in closed loop at the moment. I use about 140 units of insulin every three days so it suits me well to change the site every three days and the reservoir every six days.
Hope this helps, if you have any more questions please let me know!

Don't know why anyone would say a tubed pump is awkward if you sleep naked - I've always done that with tubed pumps, they stay attached and move with me.

Welcome to the forum @AliciaE 🙂

I’ve been using the tSlim with self-funded sensors since the middle of 2020, and I think it’s probably the best combination of kit I’ve ever had to help me manage my diabetes.

My ‘time in range’ has never been better with an average of almost 90% of time between 4-9 over the last 90 days. Overnight levels (with the automated ‘sleep’ setting being particularly effective for me).

There are a few inevitable niggles, and the algorithm that powers the predictive low glucose suspend isn’t quite as effective at catching low glucose for me than my ancient MM640G was, but I’ve worked out some adjustments to help with that 🙂

Don't know why anyone would say a tubed pump is awkward if you sleep naked - I've always done that with tubed pumps, they stay attached and move with me.
I read a review on Reddit:
Sleeping: This may be too much info; however, I sleep in my birthday suit. This information matters because I have nowhere to put my pump when sleeping. No pockets or anything. So, every single morning I wake up with my pump uncomfortably lodged under my back, shoulders, etc. It's minor but still annoying because I'm always messing with the positioning of my pump when I am trying to sleep.
Obviously it's going to be a bid dependent on how much you move when you sleep.

When I had a tubey pump, I would use a pump belt wrapped around my thigh to keep in close.
In my experience, without this, the rather solid pump would always navigate to just underneath my (boney) hip and wake me but it would never rip out.

As a few here have already mentioned, it’s definitely worth jotting the pro’s and con’s under each of the pumps available and assess which one will be the most beneficial for you.

I’m just over a month in to using a T-slim X2 and I’ve got to say it’s been fantastic so far, so much of the daily burden has gone and I’m learning more and more about my glucose levels daily which is really great.

I’m just waiting for my Dexcom delivery of G6 sensors to arrive and I’ll be closing the loop. Speaking of closed looping it’s looking very likely that it’ll become widely available for type 1’s on the NHS fairly soon (as per Partha on twitter) so I would definitely recommend considering a pump that allows looping so you can future proof for when it becomes available.

I’ve got the Omnipod Dash. I chose a patch pump because I didn’t want tubing and I wanted a pump that stayed attached when showering and swimming. Personally, I felt that “priming” the tubing (is that the right term?) as well as everything else would’ve been an extra stress for me. I started last June and haven’t looked back, it’s been so straightforward.

There’s lots of useful info and videos on YouTube, which helped me come to a decision. I also attended a Zoom Show&Tell for the tslim and the Pod - these sessions were really helpful.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back