Which Olympic Sport Would You Do?

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Tonight you are going to bed and when you wake up you will be wherever you like in your twenties. You will be perfectly fit (ideal BMI pr slightly overweight with muscle mass, laser sharp vision, strength, stamina, etc.). Now you are ready to be an Olympian. So what sport would you do - triathlon, clay pigeon, 3000 metres, pole vault, cycling.... And why?

According to my wife I could have been a wrestler, strong upper body, low centre of gravity she says; I think not. I quite fancy archery but just for romantic reasons rather than ability.

I was never ever any use at anything whatever 'sporty' - couldn't run, couldn't jump, no natural hand/eye co-ordination, however I can chuck or hit with placement, so I can serve an ace on the odd occasion but if I serve a returnable ball, can't usually hit it back again. Never learned to ride a bike properly and did try again in my 50s, but still couldn't stop as never ever wanted to tip over sideways enough to enable one foot to reach the floor.

BUT!! I can play both darts and petanque OK, (Hand/Eye placement, see?) neither of which are included in the Olympics!

The only sports I've ever been any good at are cricket, squash and 10-pin bowling. Unfortunately none of them are Olympic events.

The "newer" sports in the Olympics interest me more than the traditional athletics, shooting (whether with guns or bows and arrows) or swimming.
In my teens, I did gymnastics but, ignoring my current (and past) history of sporting ability, if I could do any sport (and had no fear), I would fancy mountain biking or BMX. They look fun and "just" need a bike and a bit of body protection.

I won't be doing skeet till they stop using blind referees.

Swimming for sure. I've always loved it and I regret the fact that I never pursued that interest.

I was never ever any use at anything whatever 'sporty' - couldn't run, couldn't jump, no natural hand/eye co-ordination, however I can chuck or hit with placement, so I can serve an ace on the odd occasion but if I serve a returnable ball, can't usually hit it back again. Never learned to ride a bike properly and did try again in my 50s, but still couldn't stop as never ever wanted to tip over sideways enough to enable one foot to reach the floor.

BUT!! I can play both darts and petanque OK, (Hand/Eye placement, see?) neither of which are included in the Olympics!
That song sounds just like me, no good at darts though, never tried petanque but I’m not optimistic. I could usually hit an ace but wasn’t any good at the rest of it. My brother was schoolboy running champion of Yorkshire in the 50s, he kept winning books and cameras, I was a great disappointment.

I used to win medals (at under 18 level) for breast stroke. At 6 foot, I'm not really tall enough these days.

I wasn’t ever a “sporty” person but was a good dancer back in the day, especially after 10 Bacardi and Cokes. So I’ll be a breakdancer. Gold medalist I’m sure.
Will Barcadi and Coke be classed as a performance enhancing drug I wonder? :confused:

Winter Olympics for me.... super giant slalom or possibly freestyle skiing.

Is "Fairly brisk walking in the park & stopping every now & then to feed magpies" an Olympic sport yet? I'd crush it.

Otherwise: gymnastics, because in my current form I have none of the required attributes & it would be cool if I had all of them.

I’d love to be a gymnast too, I think they are brilliant. Sadly I’m far too old, and even when I was young and slimmer I never had any attributes at all that were even vaguely athletic!

Having started rugby in my 30s, I do wish all the time I had done it as a team. I got better and better each season, and if I had been fitter and younger (and not a diabetic) I think I would have loved it more.
It brings me so much joy. So lets say rugby 7s, it is very fast though. Phew!
I like the running sports too, anything actually where it is just the person / team, not equipment.
And I don't like swimming, my dad was a reserve for the UK team when he was young in the commonwealth games , and my mum loves it, despite that, its not for me.

Tonight you are going to bed and when you wake up you will be wherever you like in your twenties. You will be perfectly fit (ideal BMI pr slightly overweight with muscle mass, laser sharp vision, strength, stamina, etc.). Now you are ready to be an Olympian. So what sport would you do - triathlon, clay pigeon, 3000 metres, pole vault, cycling.... And why?
Sounds like a script from a hypnotists show. Lol.

I’d love to be a gymnast too, I think they are brilliant. Sadly I’m far too old, and even when I was young and slimmer I never had any attributes at all that were even vaguely athletic!
Not one for me either - but husband No 2 was excellent when younger and slimmer and fitter - since we didn't know each other in our yoof I've only seen him perform one amazing feat - he was piloting a motorbike across a campsite in deepest France, I'd been to the loo so walking a bit behind him on same path, Dutch couple both doing the same as me - when 50 yards in front of us, bike skidded on loose sand and swiftly fell over to the left, Pete stood up on the foot pegs, and launched upwards slightly to the right, completed a tucked somersault and landed very neatly, feet apart the width of his shoulders, arms outstretched, and the 3 of us having been literally stopped in our tracks and I commented, 'Haven't seen him do that since he left the circus!' He deserved a much bigger audience and a round of applause, frankly, in his 50s. He said it was 'just muscle memory'. Gosh thought only brains had memories.

I was definitely nowhere near Olympic level in my 20s either. I would have liked to do gymnastics at a higher level than I ever managed (though not with the coaching style that was used when I was in my teens and twenties...) or rugby, I played rugby from age 17 through uni and enjoyed that. Not sure sevens would have suited me much though, I was better in the scrum than running...

I was definitely nowhere near Olympic level in my 20s either. I would have liked to do gymnastics at a higher level than I ever managed (though not with the coaching style that was used when I was in my teens and twenties...) or rugby, I played rugby from age 17 through uni and enjoyed that. Not sure sevens would have suited me much though, I was better in the scrum than running...
Yeah, I have never been in a scrum, scrum half or winger. Dupont did show that scrum halves can do anything winning gold for France :rofl:

Definitely swimming and definitely butterfly. It’s a stroke I used to be quite good at as a kid but don’t have the energy for these days!

Or three day eventing :D

Back