Which insulin pump to go for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clairediabetic

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Looking for some insulin pump recommendations and what would you say are the pros and cons of your recommendation?
I’ve been on the Omnipod since May 2022 but just don’t get on with it and have a lot of cannula issues - either getting bent or it comes out.
I do have a 19 month old so need to be weary that she won’t knock/pull it.
Thanks

Welcome @Clairediabetic 🙂 You’ll get lots of suggestions but the best pump is the one that’s right for you as an individual.

I’ve been pumping almost 20 years and currently have a Dana i pump. It’s one of the best pumps I’ve had. It’s tiny, robust and very reliable. It also has a great range of cannulas (crucial IMO) and can be controlled by my phone. It’s stood up to small children and dogs. It can also be looped.

Hi @Clairediabetic

I have used two different pumps, one of which has been discontinued. As @Inka has said the best pump for you is the one that suits you the best. It is worth writing out a list of what you want and then matching the pumps that are available in your area.

I have only used tubed pumps, as I do not like the idea of patch pumps. These suit me as I am able to put the pump where I want to in different circumstances. I find the variety of cannulas available is a bonus and I can switch between different ones if necessary.

There will be someone on here for which every pump you go for, with their own tips and suggestions.

@Clairediabetic mine is another vote for the best pump being the best one for you.
@SB2015 does not like the idea of patch pumps whereas, having tried both, I much prefer them.
When I weighed up the options available from my clinic (it’s rare to get a pump that your pump does not currently have on their list), I made a list of what is important to me with regard to my lifestyle, my body, etc. Things like size, how easy to change, whether you need pre-filled cartridges, cannula options, patch or tubed, separate controller, preference for phone app, loopability, customer service, and more.
There are details available online for all pumps which allow us to score the options and chose the one that seems best for us.
There is definitely no generic best pump.

Thank you all for your responses, I’ll research each pump that is available in my area and list out the pros and cons for me.

I've been advised today that I qualify for a pump. Trying to look at information but such a lot. They seem quite big and forum comments make me think about it being uncomfortable and where to put it or how to attach at night. I don't wear nightwear - probably too much info - but any advice to help would be much appreciated. I do tend to sleep on my side and swap sides constantly. Looks as though it could be uncomfortable on an arm at night. I use freestyle libr e sensors now so used to that - but it is very thin.

I don’t find my pump big @TinaCF 🙂 I’m not aware of it at all. It sits in a Hid-in belt round my waist day and night (I can control it with my phone). It doesn’t get in my way at all. I have boisterous children, a boisterous dog and an active life and I honestly forget I’m wearing it.

My pump is the Dana i. It’s a tubed pump, meaning I can put it where I want - in my belt, in a pocket, etc etc. I often pat myself to check I haven’t forgotten to put it back on after my shower because it’s very unobtrusive 🙂

forum comments make me think about it being uncomfortable and where to put it or how to attach at night. I don't wear nightwear - probably too much info - but any advice to help would be much appreciated.
Sounds like me at night.
Some people find they can leave their pump to “roam freely”. This did not work for me as , like you, I toss and turn at night and found my always ended up under my bony hip bone.
However, I found putting my pump in a HidIn pump belt wrapped around my upper thigh was comfortable and kept my pump under control.

I have had both tubed and patch pumps. I have found the patch pump on my abdomen more comfortable than a tubed pump. However, the tubed pump was larger.

I've been advised today that I qualify for a pump. Trying to look at information but such a lot. They seem quite big and forum comments make me think about it being uncomfortable and where to put it or how to attach at night. I don't wear nightwear - probably too much info - but any advice to help would be much appreciated. I do tend to sleep on my side and swap sides constantly. Looks as though it could be uncomfortable on an arm at night. I use freestyle libr e sensors now so used to that - but it is very thin.
When I had a tube pump I also used a Hid-In belt around my waist and could hardly notice it was there. With the patch pump sometimes I do notice but depends where I put the patch.
I’m noticing a pattern that everyone is different and what might suit one person might not suit another.

I have a Tandem T:Slim (tubed) and also turn over a lot while I'm sleeping.

I keep my pump in a Spi Belt (similar to a Hid-In belt, I think) and that works well for me. I keep the belt loose and twist it to the mist comfortable position when I turn over at night.

I got used to it quickly and don't feel uncomfortable sleeping or laying on my infusion site. I think I would feel uncomfortable sleeping with a patch pump on, but I haven't tried it.

I rotate my sites (left and right, matching the side my CGM is on) between three locations that I found are comfortable and work for me:
- my upper outer arm, above my CGM if I have it on my upper outer arm (I also rotate my CGM between different sites)
- my lower back/upper butt, below where my trousers sit, but not so low that I'd be sitting on it when I sit down
- my outer thigh, where my wrist hits if I hold my arms at my sides

I didn't find my stomach comfortable for my infusion sites, but many people do put it there. Between the three sites and two sides, each spot has about 2 weeks to heal before the next use and I often have to think about where my infusion site is.

After reading all the different pumps, it’s very interesting, I’m type 1 but haven’t been offered a pump, what criteria do you need to be a pump user . I do have readings which goes up and down and I find it sometimes hard to control.

After reading all the different pumps, it’s very interesting, I’m type 1 but haven’t been offered a pump, what criteria do you need to be a pump user . I do have readings which goes up and down and I find it sometimes hard to control.
The current technology appraisal is TA151: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta151/chapter/1-Guidance

It's due to be pretty much replaced by the hybrid closed loop TA which is due to be published in the next week or two. While the final hasn't been published, we expect that the criteria will be significantly wider than in TA151. So same wording (probably) for hypos, but an HbA1c line at 58 rather than TA151's 69.

The expectation is that it'll be rolled out over 5 years with a review after 3, and Prof Kar things the review will result in the criteria being simplified so anyone with Type 1 can expect to be able to ask for an HCL.

Having said all that, if you're having problems with MDI there's no reason why you couldn't ask your team about the possibility of a pump (or HCL) and see what they say.

There's also https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...diabetes/treating-your-diabetes/insulin-pumps and https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/diabetes-technology/closed-loop-systems and the general https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...echnology/cgm-flash-pump-who-qualifies-on-nhs

Last edited:
Thank you - everyone. I have my freestyle libre sensor on my upper arm - in full view and had hoped anything new could be the same. I’m not good with change . Interested to read about the hid-in belt so will look into that and then make a decision. Sounds the way forward but a little anxious.

It’s normal to be anxious or apprehensive @TinaCF I suggest looking at a few pumps online, reading their specs, watching videos, and getting an idea of what you like and don’t like. We all have different priorities.

TBH, I’d be more concerned about a patch pump being knocked by toddlers. Obviously, they’re more bulky. The tubed pumps have small cannulas that go into the skin and are attached to a kind of plaster, but these have low profiles. The actual pump can go where you want.

Just a suggestion @TinaCF. You can try a dummy/sample (no inserted cannula) patch pump from Omnipod. Gives you an idea of what it feels like to wear for a few days. I have been using for 5 years now and the only time I have had one come off was after I had been swimming lengths for 90 minutes - adhesive finally gave out but insulin had been pumping throughout. Like other tubed and patch users, I often have no idea where mine is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back