Which glucose meter to buy in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emil87

I am constantly having problems with Accu Chek Instant, so wondering which other one I could get instead?

I am constantly having problems with Accu Chek Instant, so wondering which other one I could get instead?
What problems are having (I don't use it but might find information or other people that use it might be able to help)

Does it need a new battery?
Basic monitors with the cheapest test strips are the GlucoNavii or Spirit TEE2.

Could it be just that particular meter?

Might be worth calling their customer helpline to discuss the problems you are having - they might send you a replacement if it sounds like yours has gone wrong?

Are you self funding your meter? If so members here find the
SD Gluco Navii (formerly the SD Codefree) and the Spirit Tee2 that @Leadinglights mentions to be good reliable ‘no frills’ meters, which both have strips at around £8 for 50. Some other brands might charge £25 or more for a pot!

I use a Contour Next One - nicely made device, and the results are very consistent across different fingers when I did some testing a few months back. It's bluetooth with an app that integrates with Apple health. Very happy with it.

Strips are expensive, though, but that is not issue for me.

What problems are you having with it? Perhaps I can advise, as I have 2 Accu Chek Instants, along with 2 Accu Chek Mobiles, a Glucomen Areo, and an Areo 2K for ketone testing.

If I were to suggest an alternative to the Instant from my collection, I would suggest the Mobile, as it uses the same FastClix system as Instant, but uses a cassette instead of individual test strips. It is, however, more expensive if you have to self-fund (I'm lucky enough to have the lancets and the cassettes on prescription, but I self-funded the Instants) and does carry a bit of a learning curve in applying blood to a tape instead of a strip, but on the plus side it does mean you have less bits and bobs to carry around with you because it's all self-contained. I tend to use my Mobile more than anything, but even so, now I get Libre, the times I use it are few and far between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back