Whhyyy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_G

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Confused...again :(

My usual brekie is a bowl of special k and an apple, on several days i have had this my BG is about 6 before and 5.6 3 hours after which im happy with.

So today i thought i would have something different coz im getting bored of cereal, i had 2 pieces of wholemeal toast with butter and bit of ham on it

Bg before - 7.7

Bg 3 hours later - 10.3!!!

So what happened??

On a lighter note it is my 22nd birthday today and i just had a massive slice of cake :D

Hi Diabetic_gal10,

Happy birthday!

If you aren't happy with the readings then why not eat a grilled or lightly fried breakfast - or an omlette even? Bacon, egg, mushrooms etc wouldn't do hardly anything at all to your blood glucose levels.

Best wishes - John

Cereal n apple usualy comes to 60 carbs so bolus 6 units (as im doing 10 carb to 1 unit ratio at the mo) , whereas the toast is 9.7 carbs slice so only bolused 2 units so there is waaay less carbs thats why i just dont get it!

I used flora lighter marge

If i eat something low carb or even no carb will i not have to inject for it then? xx

Happy birthday!

Have you tried Vogels bread? Not sure of carb content but it hasnt had any sugar added to it during the making. I have been trying it a couple of months now & it seems ok. Obviously everyone is slightly different. Hope you find something that works for you soon

Happy birthday hun - have a great day

Did you end up back where you started after 5 hours ? If so then the dose was OK just the absorption isn't what you would want.

Another thing it could be is that there may have been more carbs per slice than you thought - the wholemeal I eat is a lot higher than 9g, though it could depend on thickness. Try weighing a couple of slices then work out the carbs based on the no per 100g on the packet and see if that gives the same value. I will weigh crusts as they are never anywhere near 1 slice.

Fluctuating hormones during the month can cause changes.

Another thing is that insulin resistance tends to be higher in the morning and there may be an element of you adjusting for that when you have the larger cho breakfasts but not quite matching it when you eat less. You might need a sliding scale at breakfast depending on what you are eating.

Happy birthday, hope you're having a good day.

many moons ago when I was doing a calorie contoled diet and long before I'd heard of carbohydrates I was advised to weigh the bread as even on the most evenly sliced bread, the slices are of different thickneses. Hope you got things sorted.

Happy birthday - hope you enjoyed the cake!!

I am a newly diagnosed Type 2 so have no idea about any of the rest of your post!!

Thanks i think maybe next time i will start weghing my bread..or just stick to cereal 🙂

well i did check again after 3 half hours just pure curiosity and was 9.4 so was going down, but then i dont think my 5 hour check woould be acurate due to my mahussive slice of birthday cake! :D

This may sound stupid but i dont know what a sliding scale is???

xx

Hope this explains what I was trying to say

You have your basal insulin -which is in theory meant to be absorbed at a constant rate. However, the basal value you need varies around the clock - so at some points in the day it is higher than others. What this means in reality is that if your basal absorption is less than you need for that time of day then the dose you inject for your food will have to cover the food plus the difference between what you are absorbing and what you need.

The basal requirements are generally higher at breakfast time and in most people will drop through the morning. I am guessing that a proportion of your morning injection is making up the difference between the insulin you are absorbing and what you need. The amount you need for that will be about the same day on day but if you have a smaller meal it will use up a larger proportion of your insulin than when you have a larger meal.

So what I was trying to say is that you may appear to need a larger amount of insulin per 10g cho when the meal is small than when it is large.

That's my understanding anyway - someone else may come along and correct me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back