Where's me dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdm

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
I get the impression that, in the US, diabetes, service dogs are a thing. You know, they alert you when you are low.
Can't help thinking that walking of said gogs would induce as many lows as they prevent.
What do you think about such dogs? Would you have one?

I would love a dog. Not to detect my hypos - if I needed to actually rely on anything apart from my sense of lowness, I would feel that something was wrong. And I couldn’t drive.
But having a constant companion who is always pleased to see me and forces me out if the door for a walk feels like a win win all round.
If I did a twice daily walk, my body would be suitably fit that it would not cause a hypo so no risks just a joy if the outdoors, a chat to other dog walkers and possibly a bit of sogginess when I have no choice but to venture out in the rain.

To be honest, I would love the life of a dog. Can I be reincarnated as one?

I already have a dog. I see the hypo alert dogs as for people with ‘difficult’ diabetes or additional problems. There are a number of support dogs in the U.K. eg Seizure Alert Dogs. I think they’re a very good idea for people who need them, as are Guide Dogs, Hearing Dogs, etc.

I wouldn’t have one because I already have a dog and don’t think I need the additional help of a hypo dog.

There’s a lady in U.K. posting on Twitter that’s training one at the moment, watching with interest.
My house rabbit has woken when in a hypo but not done it again, he was scratching at my side on the sofa, animals are so smart and incredible

I watched a programme on Guide Dogs and there was a woman with a pug that was a hypo alert dog.

I'm more of a bird person than a dog person, but unfortunately I don't think hypo-magpies would work very well. Smarter than dogs but they wouldn't have the nose for it.

However, probably brilliant for anything relying on vision: eg warning you if you're about to walk out the door with your fly undone or badly colour-coordinated shirt and trousers.

1695598169968.png

I’ve met a hypo-alert dog at a diabetes event, and someone I know well locally has now had two hypo alert dogs trained in association with Medical Detection Dogs (a small charity that I’ve raised funds for in the past).

They are amazing, and do seem to be able to detect low BG in a different way to CGM and other sensing tech.

We had a talk at our WI about medical detection dogs.. Apparently diabetes detection dogs are being fazed out because of devices like Libra..

Man's best friend, always had dogs & get out for walks with them everyday come rain or shine, most days walk for 2 hours at least & just make adjustments to accommodate exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back