• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

wheres it from?

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all!

After the scandal over the contaminated blood given to haemophiliacs (?) - it has got me wondering just where the 'insulin' provided is coming from? Is it a natural product? Sorry for my ignorance - but i havent honestly thought about it before! :eek:Bev

I think some of it comes from animals and some of it is manufactured, but I'm not totally sure. I agree it is a worry.

I don't think there is anything to worry about, most insulins are made in a lab. I am trying to find an explanation of how it is made which is not written in impenetrable science language.

Thanks. I just googled it and got this :

Common Questions
Why do I have to inject insulin?
Insulin must be injected because it is a protein. If it were taken orally, the body's digestive system would break it down, rendering it useless.

Where should I store insulin?
Unopened insulin vials should be kept cool. Storing them in the refrigerator will help them last as long as possible. Never freeze insulin, however, as freezing can destroy it. Open insulin, whether vials or pens, can be kept at room temperature for about a month.

Where does insulin come from?
Insulin used by people with diabetes can come from three sources: human (created via recombinant DNA methods), pork, or beef. Beef insulin has been discontinued in the US, and essentially all people who are newly diagnosed are placed on human insulin.

What kinds of insulin are there?
Insulin is classified according to how long the insulin works. There are several types of insulin, listed here in order of rate of action. Be aware that duration of insulin action varies by individual, activity level and location of injection.

Types and Duration of Action of Insulins Available in the United States
Type of Insulin
(Trade Names) Supplier Appearance Begins Working Peak Activity All Gone
Short Acting

NovoLog? / NovoRapid? (insulin aspart) Novo Nordisk Clear 10 - 15 minutes 30 - 60 minutes 4 hours
Apidra? (insulin glulisine) Sanofi Aventis Clear 10 - 15 minutes 30 - 60 minutes 4 hours
Humalog? (insulin lispro) Eli Lilly Clear 10 - 15 minutes 30 - 60 minutes 4 hours
Regular
(Humulin, Actrapid, Velosulin?) Eli Lilly and Novo Nordisk Clear 30 minutes 2 - 4 hours 4 - 8 hours
Intermediate Acting
NPH
(Insulatard?) Eli Lilly and Novo Nordisk Cloudy 2 - 4 hours 6 - 8 hours 12 - 15 hours
Long Acting
LANTUS? (insulin glargine) Aventis Clear 4 - 6 hours No peak 24+ hours
Levemir? (insulin detemir) Novo Nordisk Clear 1 - 2 hours 2 - 12 hours
(mild, varies by dose) Up to 24 hours
(varies by dose)
Pre-Mixed (Action Varies)
NPH/Regular
70/30 or 50/50 are common mixes Eli Lilly and Novo Nordisk Cloudy 30 minutes Varies 18 - 24 hours
NPL/Humalog
75/25 and 50/50 Eli Lilly Cloudy 10-15 minutes Varies 12 - 15 hours
NovoLog Mix 70/30
70/30 Novo Nordisk Cloudy 10-15 minutes Varies 10 - 12 hours

Adapted from Understanding Insulin-Dependent Diabetes, 11th Edition by H. Peter Chase, M.D. and drug company data.
LENTE and ULTRALENTE insulins have been discontinued by Eli Lilly as of July 2005.

Production of Insulin in the Body
The creation of insulin in the beta cells of the pancreas is a two step procedure. Beta cells first produce preproinsulin. Preproinsulin is cleaved to create proinsulin, which is further cleaved to produce equal amounts of insulin and C-peptide. Endogenous (self-produced) insulin has a half-life of about four minutes in the bloodstream. C-peptide lasts about 30 minutes. By measuring the amount of C-peptide in the blood, scientists can determine the amount of insulin produced by the pancreas.2

In people who do not have diabetes, the pancreas stores about 200 units of insulin. The average basal rate for adults is one to two units per hour. After meals, insulin secretion increases to four-to-six units per hour.3

For More Information
Clinical Data
Insulin questions and insulin analog questions from the Diabetes Team
Clinical Practice Recommendations: Insulin Administration by the American Diabetes Association
Insulin Treatment In Type 1 Diabetes.
Long-term Intervention Studies Using Insulin In Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
How Long Should Insulin Be Used Once a Vial Is Started?
Avoiding Insulin Errors. Also available in PDF format.
Insulin errors--abbreviations will get U in trouble examines the importance of double-checking your insulin vials.
Insulin from Insulin-Dependent Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Adults by Ragnar Hanas, M.D.
Correction Factor: The 1800 Rule For Determining Your Correction Factor shows how far your blood sugar is likely to drop per unit of short-acting insulin
Insulin: The Facts by the Canadian Diabetes Association
The Protein Data Bank has a 3-D graphical view of an insulin hexamer.
Severe insulin resistance secondary to insulin antibodies: successful treatment with the immunosuppressant MMF.

Industry Links
LANTUS? Long-Acting Insulin Mechanism of Action and LANTUS? Basal Insulin Compared to NPH Human Insulin
Time Activity Profiles of Novo Nordisk insulins
Time Activity Profiles of Lilly insulins
Humalog? for Diabetes Educational Materials

History of Insulin
The Discovery of Insulin explores the work of Canadians Banting, Best, Colip and Macleod
The dLife TV production History of Insulin recounts the discovery of insulin and how it changed the lives of people with type 1 diabetes.
The History of Insulin (PDF)

Animal Sourced Insulins
IDF Position Statement on Animal, Human and Analogue Insulins.
Frequently Asked Questions about Importing Beef or Pork Insulin for Personal Use is from the FDA
Foot Notes
Understanding Insulin-Dependent Diabetes, 11th Edition by H. Peter Chase, M.D., 2006. See Insulin: Types and Activities section (PDF).
Management of Diabetes Mellitus: Perspectives of Care Across the Life Span edited by Debra Haire-Joshu, MSEd, MSN, PhD, RN., St. Louis, 1992, pp. 120-121.
Ibid.

Not Helpful 1 2 3 4 5 Very Helpful E-mail Page Print Format

Jump to a new section--[ Getting Around ]--Home PageWhat's NewGuide to CWDHelp with Error MessagesIndexPrivacy PolicySearchSite Map--[ People ]--Family Support NetworkAdults with DiabetesCare PhotosChat RoomsConferencesKids with DiabetesParentsParent HumorScholarships and Financial AidGrandparentsHumorous TidbitsJobsMailing ListsCWD ForumsPoetry and ArtVideosPollsQuilt for LifeSurveysBlogs--[ Clinic ]--Ask the Diabetes TeamAlternate Site TestingAlternative TreatmentsCare SuggestionsCWD Espa?olDiabetes BasicsDiabetes at School504 PlansDiabetes CampsDiabetes DictionaryInsulin PumpsNutritionPodcastsPresentationsProductsProduct MarketplaceSportsStudiesWarning Signs--[ Sources ]--News and InformationDiabetes AdvocacyLinks to Other Web SitesPress ReleasesRegional InformationServicesSupport Groups--[ Feedback ]--About CWDGet CWD ProductsAdvertiseAwardsContribute Your ExperiencesDisclaimerLetters to the EditorLogos and LinkingShare our Brochures

Last Updated: Tue Sep 09 10:09:50 2008
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice and Privacy Policy.
? Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2009. Comments and Feedback.

Bev

...Production of Insulin in the Body
The creation of insulin in the beta cells of the pancreas is a two step procedure. Beta cells first produce preproinsulin. Preproinsulin is cleaved to create proinsulin, which is further cleaved to produce equal amounts of insulin and C-peptide. Endogenous (self-produced) insulin has a half-life of about four minutes in the bloodstream. C-peptide lasts about 30 minutes. By measuring the amount of C-peptide in the blood, scientists can determine the amount of insulin produced by the pancreas...

Thanks bev - now I understand why C-peptide matches insulin!:)

My first qualification was in pharmacy. The Boots manufacturing unit in Nottingham used to have almost continuous stream of lorries depositing beef gubbins which was macerated and evetually steam distilled. The distillate was sorted out and the evaporated crystals were insulin ready for processing.
The smell of the distillation was pervasive and resulted in everything tasting really foul for a long time.
Whisky mouthwash, gargle and swallow helped a little

My first qualification was in pharmacy. The Boots manufacturing unit in Nottingham used to have almost continuous stream of lorries depositing beef gubbins which was macerated and evetually steam distilled. The distillate was sorted out and the evaporated crystals were insulin ready for processing.
The smell of the distillation was pervasive and resulted in everything tasting really foul for a long time.
Whisky mouthwash, gargle and swallow helped a little

I was astonished when I read in 'The Discovery of Insulin' how they actually prepared the first batches, it seemed so crude - how could it possibly work!

p.s. John - stop scaring me with those avatars!:eek:

I only started wondering this last year, after taking it for about 3 years! for some reason i always thought it was pig insulin. I found out what i take (NovoRapid) is synthetic, whichI found a bit worrying!

I only started wondering this last year, after taking it for about 3 years! for some reason i always thought it was pig insulin. I found out what i take (NovoRapid) is synthetic, whichI found a bit worrying!

I personally find it quite comforting to think that it is artificial and not 'macerated beef gubbins' as kojack so eloquently describes it!

Oh, and katie, it's way past your bedtime, you've got lectures tomorrow!:)

I personally find it quite comforting to think that it is artificial and not 'macerated beef gubbins' as kojack so eloquently describes it!

Oh, and katie, it's way past your bedtime, you've got lectures tomorrow!:)

Yes, I guess that's true, it's just that they call it GM hehe.

I know it's way past my bed time... I hate to be depressing but I havent been able to sleep since i broke up with my longterm boyfriend a few weeks ago :rolleyes: So im getting about 3.5hours at the moment. I'm trying my best to cheer up though!!

I still use bovine insulin to this day.
I have never been happy with the way so called human insulin was introduced or the way the tests were done to see if it was safe :eek:
I'm no scientist but I beleive that beef protiens are used in the developement of humalog. I read it somewhere many years ago that you have a better chance of getting CJD from using human insulin than you have using bovin or pork insulin.
Novo and co are not insulin's anyway they are a concoction of chemicals.
Which many people are allergic too, even if they do not realize it :mad:
But then again many people are fine using it. So my attitude to it all is if it isn't broke don't fix it.
This site is well worth a read.
http://www.iddtinternational.org/gmvsanimalinsulin/index.htm

I was astonished when I read in 'The Discovery of Insulin' how they actually prepared the first batches, it seemed so crude - how could it possibly work!

p.s. John - stop scaring me with those avatars!:eek:

Sorry Alan

Just experimenting with resizing. If I put my own piccie on, you would be scared;)

I shall sort one out later.

Back