where did i go wrong tonight with my BS levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I just don't get it - i tested before my main meal tonight and BS was 7.1 then i decided to test after one hour and it was 10.5 and then an hour later (after 2 hours) it was UP at 11.4!! I then decided to go for a walk and when i tested again after i got back it dropped dramatically down to 5.6 so it proves excercise helped. All i can put it down to is yet another high carb meal which i have mis-judged again. I had 3 tbsps rice with some vegetables and a frozen chicken grill. I totalled the carbs to 22g so not really that much but i'm wondering if it was because the food is processed ie the chicken grill was one of a pack of 2 and the carb was 5.8g, the little bag of veg which you steam in the microwave and comes in individual frozen pouches was 10.1g and then the rice so where did i go wrong? - just when i think i've got it sort of under control it all goes haywire - help!

I just don't get it - i tested before my main meal tonight and BS was 7.1 then i decided to test after one hour and it was 10.5 and then an hour later (after 2 hours) it was UP at 11.4!! I then decided to go for a walk and when i tested again after i got back it dropped dramatically down to 5.6 so it proves excercise helped. All i can put it down to is yet another high carb meal which i have mis-judged again. I had 3 tbsps rice with some vegetables and a frozen chicken grill. I totalled the carbs to 22g so not really that much but i'm wondering if it was because the food is processed ie the chicken grill was one of a pack of 2 and the carb was 5.8g, the little bag of veg which you steam in the microwave and comes in individual frozen pouches was 10.1g and then the rice so where did i go wrong? - just when i think i've got it sort of under control it all goes haywire - help!

Depends on what you ate, but I believe that certain foods (I think proteins and fat) take longer to digest therefore your bs can continue to rise for a couple of hours before it goes back down again. This has happened to me too. I've also noticed that exercise (walking in the fresh air is my favourite!) does an excellent job of bringing the bs back down again.

Hopefully one of the resident experts will be along to explain this properly to us both!!

Karina

Sometimes we have unusual responses to different foods and we go higher than anticipated for some reason. You may be an individual who spikes with rice, for example, or your insulin resistance may be up for some reason (anything from stress of Xmas to pre-infection to less exercise than normal). The only way to find out whether it is the rice is to test your bloods again next time you have it and just build up your own knowledge bank as you get more experiences

Brilliant example, tho, of how something as simple as a walk helps many of us Type 2s bring that blood level down

I wonder if you miscalculated your rice, from my quick look it seems that you worked rice out to be only 6g, is that right? I don't eat alot of rice at all but I would have thought that 3 tablespoons would be more than 6g. What would eb interesting would be to try the meal again and see if it produces similar results. To try it at different times of the day to see if if makes any difference.

Hi

You haven't done anything wrong, you are having to learn what different foods do for you.

I do agree though and think you have miscalculated the rice. If you work on the fact that 100g of cooked basmati rice is 30 carbs. Brown rice is better for you but if like me absolutely detest it then basmati is the way to go. Rice is a tricky little thing. Rice sometimes doesn't start working for a while so some people find they go low immediately after eating and then spike hours later with rice.

On a pump we have to do a tricky bolus. We don't give all the injection at the same time. We have to do a combination of some now and some a few hours later. That shows how dogdy rice can be. The same with pasta. So don't beat yourself up about this, rice is tricky. I do think you need to look at the carbs in it though.🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back