When you have to wait a long time to see your Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Mc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am 51 year old male, Type 2 Diabetes for 7 years.

As of late and I have never been through anything like this before as my exhaustion levels have reached a point where I can longer function or work.
Over the last month and inspite of eating a lot more healthier I just get worse and worse every day.
The slightest bit of physical effort is draining to point where its scary. I cant concentrate for very long and for the first time in my life I cant sleep depsite the exhaustion.

I am takeing my medication as I always do.

I am finding it difficult to get an appointment with my Diabetes Doctor who is quiet helpful. However I will have to wait at least 2 weeks before I can get call from her.

So I guess my question is do I have any right to see a Doctor in between my yearly Diabetes checks? Or is there some other avenue I can pursue to get some advice and help.
I would never go to A&E unless I was a complete emergency.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

So I guess my question is do I have any right to see a Doctor in between my yearly Diabetes checks?
That kind of exhaustion sounds like a good reason to see your GP (or have a phone consultation). Maybe it's your diabetes or maybe it's something else.

I imagine a consultation would be sufficient to trigger the usual set of blood tests which might show that your diabetes now isn't well controlled (in which case your diabetes team would surely want to see you) or maybe it would reveal some other sign which your GP could pursue.

It is very easy when something is amiss to blame it on your diabetes when it may be something else, so really it is your GP that you should see/speak to rather than the diabetic team at this stage, as mentioned having the usual raft of blood tests would be the logical first step. Be persistent.
If you have a home blood glucose monitor then you can check if your blood glucose level is high. If you don't then some pharmacies (Lloyds I think ) will do a finger prick test to check for you.

Sorry to hear about your level of exhaustion @Brian Mc

It certainly sounds like something you need to get checked out, particularly with the way it is impacting your daily life. :(

You could call NHS111, or contact your GP with an e-consult via the NHS App, or by filling in an online form (which can help your GP surgery respond more quickly)

Hope you can get to the bottom of your fatigue, and start to seem some improvements

You sound like me, I don’t think the diabetes team is the place to start though unless you’re very high / uncontrolled blood sugars. I’d do an econsult with your GP and ask for some bloods to check for any causes of the tiredness and a follow up appointment with the GP to discuss a plan.

That kind of exhaustion sounds like a good reason to see your GP (or have a phone consultation). Maybe it's your diabetes or maybe it's something else.

I imagine a consultation would be sufficient to trigger the usual set of blood tests which might show that your diabetes now isn't well controlled (in which case your diabetes team would surely want to see you) or maybe it would reveal some other sign which your GP could pursue.
Thank you for the advice

Not all surgeries use E consult!
And so if OP says theirs doesn’t then we’ll make alternative suggestions but they haven’t said that. If theirs does use it then it’s the fastest method.

And so if OP says theirs doesn’t then we’ll make alternative suggestions but they haven’t said that. If theirs does use it then it’s the fastest method.
My surgery does not call anything econsult but I believe they have a similar system if i contact them for an appointment.
I make an online request, they contact me with a link to provide photos (if appropriate).Then they set up a triage call.

I find the term e consult misleading because it is not universal My advice would be to try all options to contact surgery and not just rely on the phone.
Details should be on the surgery website and whatever online system they use. My surgery uses AirMid and the NHS app but I see from here there are other systems used around the UK so, again, I would not specify a particular system or app or website

My surgery only have online forms for Asthma and Smoking Cessation.
My last Diabetes review I was sent a text with a link to book but said link would not work, ended up ring to book appointment and took 40 mins mid afternoon to get through.
For me the NHS seems to linked to my surgeries Systemonline, as I get an email saying I have accessed as I do on line,

You sound like me, I don’t think the diabetes team is the place to start though unless you’re very high / uncontrolled blood sugars. I’d do an econsult with your GP and ask for some bloods to check for any causes of the tiredness and a follow up appointment with the GP to discuss a plan.
Thank you for the advice

Thank you very helpful!

Thank you for advice, I've managed to get a blood test booked.

My surgery does not call anything econsult but I believe they have a similar system if i contact them for an appointment.
I make an online request, they contact me with a link to provide photos (if appropriate).Then they set up a triage call.

I find the term e consult misleading because it is not universal My advice would be to try all options to contact surgery and not just rely on the phone.
Details should be on the surgery website and whatever online system they use. My surgery uses AirMid and the NHS app but I see from here there are other systems used around the UK so, again, I would not specify a particular system or app or website
Thank you for advice! I find it difficult though to ask for an urgent appointment or get one when technically I am not in a life-threatening situation. Plus the media and the surgeries remind you constantly of how short staffed and under pressure they are. I think to myself quite frankly 'Diabetes in my case is 100% my own fault so I should wait my turn and not try and jump the que'

Thank you for your help

Working in partnership with the NHS | Push Doctor

View attachment 21978
Push Doctor is an NHS partner which provides a service that supplements your current GP service to give you better access to amazing healthcare, when you need it. By using the service you won't be de-registering from your GP and will …
Thank you for your help

Thank you for your help
You're, welcome,I have used this service for a routine question on adaptations for the house, doctor said she would write to our doctors and occupational health folk at our local hospital, we had a visit from the OT this week and she has ordered up grab rails etc for us, very useful service

Sorry to hear about your level of exhaustion @Brian Mc

It certainly sounds like something you need to get checked out, particularly with the way it is impacting your daily life. :(

You could call NHS111, or contact your GP with an e-consult via the NHS App, or by filling in an online form (which can help your GP surgery respond more quickly)

Hope you can get to the bottom of your fatigue, and start to seem some improvements
Thank you for the useful information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back