When would you call Abbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pam123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am beginning to think ive got a faulty sensor, it went live on Sunday at 7.30pm to begin with it was reading low compared to finger prick then it want the other way example yesterday 1 had a 10.3 when it was 6.1 another 7.8 finger prick 4.6 this morning it read 7.6 and it was 5.3 finger prick, I also had a warning screen saying connect a Nova pen when I haven’t got one, the question it as its coming up to 2 dayS this evening when would you phone Abbot ?

Hello @Pam123, I used to have this problem of near random readings and I would phone when I found I could no longer work from that particular sensor.

I found starting high when fp was low and then changing to low when fp was high was particularly unworkable; or vice versa. If consistently high or consistently low I could make mental adjustments for those differences. But I did always have to fp before taking any bolus insulin.

I had over 50% replacements for unreliability with L2. That % ignores those sensors I continued with despite the differentials. When I phoned Abbott I put up with the steady interrogation that the rep at the other end was obliged to do and if just sometimes there was resistance I simply politely said the sensor was not fit for purpose and I would need to report a Yellow Card. Every sensor that I reported was replaced.

Hello @Pam123, I used to have this problem of near random readings and I would phone when I found I could no longer work from that particular sensor.

I found starting high when fp was low and then changing to low when fp was high was particularly unworkable; or vice versa. If consistently high or consistently low I could make mental adjustments for those differences. But I did always have to fp before taking any bolus insulin.

I had over 50% replacements for unreliability with L2. That % ignores those sensors I continued with despite the differentials. When I phoned Abbott I put up with the steady interrogation that the rep at the other end was obliged to do and if just sometimes there was resistance I simply politely said the sensor was not fit for purpose and I would need to report a Yellow Card. Every sensor that I reported was replaced.
Thanks for your reply what is a yellow card ? I don't think its going to settle down after this length of time to be honest my problem is I tend to get low reading over night and I am not aware of having hypos am scared of not waking up without the alarm

Thanks for your reply what is a yellow card ? I don't think its going to settle down after this length of time to be honest my problem is I tend to get low reading over night and I am not aware of having hypos am scared of not waking up without the alarm

Are they true hypos or could they be what we call compression lows where you lie on the sensor in your sleep and it gives a false low. Usually you will see a sharp dip on the graph and when you roll off it it will rebound back up to the previous level. That probably makes it sound like it is quite instantaneous but generally it takes about half to three quarters of an hour to drop and similar to recover/rebound, plus however long you lie on it, but when you look at the graph in the morning you can usually spot them by their profile rather than a genuine low which will usually be a slow steady descent more like a slack washing line. Also, if Libre is reading lower than actual BG which it does for me and most of your readings seem to suggest, are you actually going hypo in your sleep at all, even if the lows are not compression lows. That could make you worry that your body is not waking you up when in reality you are just not low enough for your body to notice it. It is common for you to have a slightly lower level of hypo awareness when you are asleep, because your early signs which are often visual, for instance my peripheral vision goes slightly blurry and your legs might get wobbly but when lying down with your eyes closed in the dark, you don't get these early signs, so it may be that you need to go slightly lower in your sleep before your body realises.

I too used to worry about not waking up during the night if I went hypo but a week of persistent nocturnal hypos following exercise before I had Libre, surprisingly helped give me confidence that my body will wake me up. I am much more relaxed about it now even though I still get quite frequent nocturnal hypos 4 years later, despite my best efforts to prevent them. My overnight levels are much more volatile than my daytime ones.

Are they true hypos or could they be what we call compression lows where you lie on the sensor in your sleep and it gives a false low. Usually you will see a sharp dip on the graph and when you roll off it it will rebound back up to the previous level. That probably makes it sound like it is quite instantaneous but generally it takes about half to three quarters of an hour to drop and similar to recover/rebound, plus however long you lie on it, but when you look at the graph in the morning you can usually spot them by their profile rather than a genuine low which will usually be a slow steady descent more like a slack washing line. Also, if Libre is reading lower than actual BG which it does for me and most of your readings seem to suggest, are you actually going hypo in your sleep at all, even if the lows are not compression lows. That could make you worry that your body is not waking you up when in reality you are just not low enough for your body to notice it. It is common for you to have a slightly lower level of hypo awareness when you are asleep, because your early signs which are often visual, for instance my peripheral vision goes slightly blurry and your legs might get wobbly but when lying down with your eyes closed in the dark, you don't get these early signs, so it may be that you need to go slightly lower in your sleep before your body realises.

I too used to worry about not waking up during the night if I went hypo but a week of persistent nocturnal hypos following exercise before I had Libre, surprisingly helped give me confidence that my body will wake me up. I am much more relaxed about it now even though I still get quite frequent nocturnal hypos 4 years later, despite my best efforts to prevent them. My overnight levels are much more volatile than my daytime ones.
Yes I believe they are true hypos the line has gone down slowly on the graph, I have had the odd compression low, but its mainly true ones.

in the daytime its happened a couple of times and gone to 4 and I have had the blurred vision but also feeling empty but not always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back