When was the last time you read the PILs (patient information leaflets) of your meds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIsmail

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just out of curiosity.

Had it for so long, I just chuck em in the recycle box without looking.

These days, only when my meds are changed, including if the dosages change so I am aware of anything 'interesting' that may afflict me in the future! Thankfully, I've gone down from 11 meds to just 2 (plus insulin!), so there is less to remember.

Actually, now you mention it, I might re-read them again, since I fancy a grapefruit and I know I wasn't allowed it on one of them 🙂

i do check on any meds for kids ...re interactions ....then chuck them ..in the recylcing😉

I checked the documentation of my insulins a couple of years ago to find more detailed information about the period of time over which the insulins work. Not much information was available ..... Other than that, I probably last read the information over 30 years ago.

Only when I go on something new - or if I have been ill and looking for a reason.

I found out about not having grapefruit with simvastatin by accident, someone casually mentioned it and when I got home I discovered it was printed on the label the chemist attaches to each box! Oops. Luckily I don't like grapefruit anyway.

I checked the documentation of my insulins a couple of years ago to find more detailed information about the period of time over which the insulins work. Not much information was available ..... Other than that, I probably last read the information over 30 years ago.

Hi Galibier, welcome to the forum 🙂 We have quite a few members with 20, 30, 40 years experience - look forward to hearing more from you. Hope the training is going well!

Hehehehe
No, i only read other peoples....

On the other hand, have pity on the poor soul who has to photocopy the blessed things for you, when they often come in stupid shapes and sizes and on almost transparent paper...roll on orginal pack dispensing i say. (Heck, community probably have more than that than we do anyway, patients outside of hospitals seldom need a four day supply of drugs because they left thier tablets at home.)

Don't worry too much about the Grapefruit-Simvastatin interaction, you have to swallow your tablet with a large volume of grapefruit juice before it affects anything...We don't put that on the label at our place. Correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think many people finish the day with a huge glass of grapefruit juice before they go to bed...

I try to read the patient information leaflet once or twice a year, or when the dosage or type of medication is changed, and I keep a copy of the new information.

Rachel T, I can't face grapefruit juice any time, it is too sour, although I do like pink grapefruit!

Hehehehe
No, i only read other peoples....

On the other hand, have pity on the poor soul who has to photocopy the blessed things for you, when they often come in stupid shapes and sizes and on almost transparent paper...roll on orginal pack dispensing i say. (Heck, community probably have more than that than we do anyway, patients outside of hospitals seldom need a four day supply of drugs because they left thier tablets at home.)

Don't worry too much about the Grapefruit-Simvastatin interaction, you have to swallow your tablet with a large volume of grapefruit juice before it affects anything...We don't put that on the label at our place. Correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think many people finish the day with a huge glass of grapefruit juice before they go to bed...

Good point Rachel.

However, on holiday earlier this year, a lady at the same breakfast table took her simvastin in the morning with breakfast and ALWAYS took it with a glass of grapefruit juice. She got very defensive and said it had never caused her any problems when I mentioned I thought the two did not go together. Her life - up to her.

Good point Rachel.

However, on holiday earlier this year, a lady at the same breakfast table took her simvastin in the morning with breakfast and ALWAYS took it with a glass of grapefruit juice. She got very defensive and said it had never caused her any problems when I mentioned I thought the two did not go together. Her life - up to her.

I think there might be some other meds affected by grapefruit - I seem to remember some heart meds, either the beta-blockers or clopidogrel. I'd just rather not risk it whilst I was on them.

When I was given Simvistatin the pharmacist told me I MUST take it at night. I was told to take all my pills after food, then when doing the xpert course I was told take it at least 20 minutes BEFORE food. Just goes to show how advice varies from area to area!

The statins should be taken in the evening as cholesterol production is highest at night.

With regards to the grapefruit thing, consuming it with some meds means that there is more of the drug than the prescriber intended.
It basically blocks an enzyme in the liver which is involved in the breakdown of many drugs.

The statins should be taken in the evening as cholesterol production is highest at night.

With regards to the grapefruit thing, consuming it with some meds means that there is more of the drug than the prescriber intended.
It basically blocks an enzyme in the liver which is involved in the breakdown of many drugs.

Thanks for that! 🙂

Thanks for that! 🙂

It's cool.

Generally I feel that the more someone knows about their meds, the better they are at using them.

I hate hearing lame advice or treatment that is not properly explained.

Knowledge is power!

If im starting on any new meds I will read the back of the box but for the likes of my metformin i just take the pills out and the box goes straight in the bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back