When to worry about feet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with Type 2 (H1abc at 76, then 69) & high cholesterol (6, decreased to 5) about a month ago. I’ve radically changed my diet to a low carb diet (aiming for 100-120 g of carbs per day). I’ve been a vegetarian for 36 years. I don’t have any trouble sticking to the new diet. I started on metformin but was switched to sukkarto due to an allergy and am gradually increasing my dose as prescribed. I was also prescribed statins and am still working this prescription out with my GP because of side effects. I have been utterly exhausted, suffering from brain fog, & dealing with some drug side effects, so exercise is on hold but I’m eager to start back up after the pandemic hiatus.

My main concern is my feet. I have long standing mechanical problems - my metatarsal arches dropped 10 years ago & I use orthotic insoles. My muscles & pads of my feet shifted so I rely on my insoles & thick carpet indoors to minimise foot pain. Lately, my feet are wickedly cold - like death came over - and I can’t warm them up. They rapidly became very dry with dry creasing forming and dry patches on my heals. Last night, my big toe was hot while the rest were freezing. My feet constantly tingle (pins and needles) & the feeling has diminished significantly. There are no cuts or blisters, but I’m worried about putting on trainers that I haven’t worn in 2 years because I will get blisters due to the insoles lifting my feet slightly.

The diabetes nurse said that my feet will be assessed for the first time after the three month blood test in July. I’d welcome advice on whether my current symptoms are an urgent concern or if they are typical of this period shortly after diagnosis while trying to lower my blood sugar levels. When do I need to worry about my feet - is it only if I have a cut or blister or is the dryness, tingling, or temperature a concern? Thanks.

I'd not worry about calling the GP and speaking with someone. You have a concern and you're recently diagnosed. It's fair to flag concerns with the surgery/nurse without waiting for a scheduled appointment to come around.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 (H1abc at 76, then 69) & high cholesterol (6, decreased to 5) about a month ago. I’ve radically changed my diet to a low carb diet (aiming for 100-120 g of carbs per day). I’ve been a vegetarian for 36 years. I don’t have any trouble sticking to the new diet. I started on metformin but was switched to sukkarto due to an allergy and am gradually increasing my dose as prescribed. I was also prescribed statins and am still working this prescription out with my GP because of side effects. I have been utterly exhausted, suffering from brain fog, & dealing with some drug side effects, so exercise is on hold but I’m eager to start back up after the pandemic hiatus.

My main concern is my feet. I have long standing mechanical problems - my metatarsal arches dropped 10 years ago & I use orthotic insoles. My muscles & pads of my feet shifted so I rely on my insoles & thick carpet indoors to minimise foot pain. Lately, my feet are wickedly cold - like death came over - and I can’t warm them up. They rapidly became very dry with dry creasing forming and dry patches on my heals. Last night, my big toe was hot while the rest were freezing. My feet constantly tingle (pins and needles) & the feeling has diminished significantly. There are no cuts or blisters, but I’m worried about putting on trainers that I haven’t worn in 2 years because I will get blisters due to the insoles lifting my feet slightly.

The diabetes nurse said that my feet will be assessed for the first time after the three month blood test in July. I’d welcome advice on whether my current symptoms are an urgent concern or if they are typical of this period shortly after diagnosis while trying to lower my blood sugar levels. When do I need to worry about my feet - is it only if I have a cut or blister or is the dryness, tingling, or temperature a concern? Thanks.
In my totally unqualified opinion, it certainly sounds like you have mild peripheral neuropathy: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/peripheral-neuropathy/

It's a really common thing for diabetics but that doesn't mean you shouldn't talk to your doc/nurse as soon as you can about your particular circumstances & maybe see if you can get your foot appointment moved up.

Sorry to hear about your tootsies @Yepitsinthefamily

Losing sensation and pins and needles might indicate some changes to nerve endings which could be related to diabetes. Sometimes rapid changes in BG averages can give rise to a transient form of neuropathy, which may improve in time.

Keeping your BG levels fairly steady seems to help reduce flare-ups of nerve pain/discomfort

When I was first diagnosed I started the medicine and the diet. My weight went down and my blood sugar went down. I did have a couple of days of really severe pins and needles in my feet. I found that this was common as the blood sugar fell. However, I only had two days of suffering and it was pins and needles only. My feet do become cold and sometimes feel as if I have wet socks even though, when I check, the feet and socks are dry. I also have a weak pulse in one of the feet and so the circulation is poor and the annual foot inspection shows a lack of some feeling due to neuropathy. However, these symptoms are not severe and I check my feet everyday. I am saying this only to let you know that some of the symptoms you describe are not uncommon but, apart from the pins and needles, they have happened gradually. I have had one referral to the podiatrist and the symptoms are investigated at every annual review and so I have stopped worrying and am just careful with foot checks and using foot cream. However, if matters are so severe that you are worried I think that, rather than suffer in silence, you should speak with the GP or diabetes nurse.

Hear Hear - and you could also ask to have a blood test for Thyroid Function, just in case your Thyroid isn't working ever so well - which is rather common accompanying diabetes of any 'type'.

When I was first diagnosed I started the medicine and the diet. My weight went down and my blood sugar went down. I did have a couple of days of really severe pins and needles in my feet. I found that this was common as the blood sugar fell. However, I only had two days of suffering and it was pins and needles only. My feet do become cold and sometimes feel as if I have wet socks even though, when I check, the feet and socks are dry. I also have a weak pulse in one of the feet and so the circulation is poor and the annual foot inspection shows a lack of some feeling due to neuropathy. However, these symptoms are not severe and I check my feet everyday. I am saying this only to let you know that some of the symptoms you describe are not uncommon but, apart from the pins and needles, they have happened gradually. I have had one referral to the podiatrist and the symptoms are investigated at every annual review and so I have stopped worrying and am just careful with foot checks and using foot cream. However, if matters are so severe that you are worried I think that, rather than suffer in silence, you should speak with the GP or diabetes nurse.
Thanks. Yes, you describe it perfectly - like cold, wet feet. It comes and goes. Thanks for the reassurance.

Hear Hear - and you could also ask to have a blood test for Thyroid Function, just in case your Thyroid isn't working ever so well - which is rather common accompanying diabetes of any 'type'.
Yes, thanks. That too runs in the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back