When to Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebstar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Can I just ask are you supposed to test 1 or 2 hours from when you start eating or 1 or 2 hours after you have finished eating. I usually time it from when I begin to eat but am not sure if I'm doing that right. Also I have a fasting blood test tomorrow is it ok to brush my teeth. Am dreading the result of this test😱

Bless you stebstar🙂 Testing on eating: Are you on any medication?

Just to be safe, don't brush just this once. Most/all tooth pastes by definition are sugar free but I'm really not sure what the various concoction of other ingredient's will do for your blood level's. However if this a hbA1c test at the doctors, what they test for is established over the previous 3 month's. Red blood cell's have an average life span of 3 months, over this time they accumulate sugar on their cell membrane, when they die this sugar is left and using magic tricks with strings, mirrors and a safety net, they come up with your result's.

🙂

No medication just diet and exercise.

Personally I test 2 hours after I take my insulin, so that could be just before, during or after my meal. I do this so that I know that after 2 hours my insulin is almost done, my blood sugar won't move very far from what it is a 2 hours.

If you are testing new meals you might want to test more frequent intervals to see where the peak is and how high it is, how long you take to return to normal etc. some recommend every 15 minutes,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back