When to take medication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi guys, I've been prescribed Metformin Yaltormin SR 500mg- prolonged Release tablets 1 tab 2x daily - the Practice nurse was very vague and game me the script, and a booklet and sent me on my merry way. With a brief note to take one in the morning and one in the evening, the pharmacist however advised me to take both with my main meal (tea time) ! Any advice would be gratefully received.

Slow release is meant to be taken once a day with your main meal, I would trust the pharmacist.
Thank you for your advice.
My experience with the practice nurse was not great and I've been left feeling overwhelmed and blowing in the wind so to speak there was no follow up appointment mentioned just that I can get my meds on repeat. Only other thing mentioned was the eye test which I was told could take up to 3 years for an appointment .

Definitely both with main meal. The diabetes clinic DSN told me that. Whether it’s lunch or dinner.

Are you sure dis not say 3 months for the Retinal Eye Screening, as most have this annually.

Thank you for your advice.
My experience with the practice nurse was not great and I've been left feeling overwhelmed and blowing in the wind so to speak there was no follow up appointment mentioned just that I can get my meds on repeat. Only other thing mentioned was the eye test which I was told could take up to 3 years for an appointment .
I take my metformin with my meal. I am surprised about what you were told re the eye screening. I have one annually. I have recently had my appointment confirmed for Feb 2023.

i had to remind them about eye screening,
its supposed to be annual but theres not the capacity to do so,
not here anyway.

As they’re slow release it makes no difference whether you take them all at once or one morning and one evening. Do whatever’s easiest for you.

Are you sure dis not say 3 months for the Retinal Eye Screening, as most have this annually.
It’s been changed to every 2 years since Covid in some areas, unless you have background retinopathy already then annually

My screening is annual.
I also decided to pay privately in between at my opticians.

If you are newly diagnosed, unless you have a hba1c that just tips the scales I'd push for a faster initial check up if you can.

I take my metformin with my meal. I am surprised about what you were told re the eye screening. I have one annually. I have recently had my appointment confirmed for Feb 2023.

I was shocked When she said . Finger's crossed it won't be that long a wait. I have an appointment with my options just before Xmas so that'd good x

Last edited by a moderator:
they say opticians test isn't the same?
it appears to be the same to me, (as in the one you pay 30 or 40 ish to have done). The machine looks the same and the way its done.

do I need both??

they say opticians test isn't the same?
it appears to be the same to me, (as in the one you pay 30 or 40 ish to have done). The machine looks the same and the way its done.

do I need both??

I used to be tested for the NHS at my opticians.
They had the same machines, cameras, and eyes needing drops before.
When I moved counties, the NHS did it in house.
I signed up to a local optician that privately used a laser scanner to build an image, so a different style of machine.
I decided if was worth paying for the second opinion, and the different process.

The OCT scan is £10 at specsavers so I always pay for it. I think it’s pretty similar to the NHS one though they tell me it’s more advanced. Either way I’m happy to pay the £10 to have an additional check, since diabetes means I save the cost of the standard eye test anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back