When to fit a sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillsb

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Have only used CGM a couple of times and still not very confident with them. My daughter wants to have another go and we are trying to work out the best time to fit it (before meal or after)? Does she do a callibration straight away or will it prompt her? Any help much appreciated.

I think the different cgm systems have diffferent startup schemes. Which are you using?

FWIW, this applies to Medtronic Guardian:
Ideally you would fit a new sensor, such that BG levels are stable during first calibration. For the one I use, Medtronic Guardian cgm, it wants first calibration about 1.5 hrs after start of new sensor (when interstitial fluid has properly presented itself around the sensor lead), then a second calibration 6 hours after first. For me, this is means I set new sensors a few hours after a meal or a couple hours before the next.

I would say, don't stress while you're learning timing. During first few hours (0-12 hrs) it's not uncommon for me to restart sensor (turn off exisitng sensor and tell pump I have new sensor) when SG (sensor glucose) readings are flat and there is large difference between BG (meter) and SG.......this takes place w/one finger prick and of course, the "clock" resets on sensor age. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back