When should I take my metformin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sussexmax

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just wondered when I should be taking my slow-release metformin. I’m on 1500mg (in 2 x 750mg tablets), as well as 100mg Sitagliptin. I take the Sitagliptin in the morning and then the first metformin with my (very light) lunch, and the other one after my evening meal.

I’ve read that because it’s the slow-release version I could take it all at the same time - some say with my evening meal, or even just before bed.

Would really appreciate advice and your experiences, so that I minimise unwanted side effects!! TIA

I was advised to take mine with my biggest meal , which for me is my evening meal.

I am on metformin 500mg twice a day, I was told to take 1 with breakfast and 1 with main meal. I now have another medication added to take in the morning too.

I am on metformin 500mg twice a day, I was told to take 1 with breakfast and 1 with main meal. I now have another medication added to take in the morning too.
Thank you, are you on the standard metformin or the slow-release version?

Thank you, are you on the standard metformin or the slow-release version?
Ah I think mine must be standard as nothing on it says otherwise and not had slow release ever mentioned. I just thought metformin was metformin lol sorry if I've caused any confusion.

Ah I think mine must be standard as nothing on it says otherwise and not had slow release ever mentioned. I just thought metformin was metformin lol sorry if I've caused any confusion.
No, not at all - I appreciate your message! Metformin seems to have the worst potential side effects, and I’ve heard conflicting information on the best time to take the slow-release version. Thank you again!

The SR version, which is the one I’m on too, can be taken any time of the day precisely because it’s the show release version.

I just take it at random times of the day and night.

Forget that. The info sheet that comes with mine says take it together. However, I take one in the morning one at night. Which is what the nurse says to do. So bit of a contradiction there. I also don't worry about before or after meals.

Just wondered when I should be taking my slow-release metformin. I’m on 1500mg (in 2 x 750mg tablets), as well as 100mg Sitagliptin. I take the Sitagliptin in the morning and then the first metformin with my (very light) lunch, and the other one after my evening meal.

I’ve read that because it’s the slow-release version I could take it all at the same time - some say with my evening meal, or even just before bed.

Would really appreciate advice and your experiences, so that I minimise unwanted side effects!! TIA
I take the slow release version of Metformin. I take 2 with breakfast and 2 with my evening meal. Principally because it is easier to remember.

Thank you all for your replies. I’m just trying to minimise any unpleasant side effects by taking them at the best time of day, and had read conflicting advice! Think I’ll stick to breakfast and supper time and hope that works out!

Thank you all for your replies. I’m just trying to minimise any unpleasant side effects by taking them at the best time of day, and had read conflicting advice! Think I’ll stick to breakfast and supper time and hope that works out!
If you are still getting bad effects even from slow release then it may be worth asking about alternative medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back