When Diabetes Technologies Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone else remember the scene in the early 90s movie, Reality Bites, where Winona Ryder?s character is on a job interview and someone asks her to define the word ?irony?? And she?s in an elevator and she?s unable to get out anything coherent before the door closes, and so she doesn?t get the job? (And yet somehow ends up with Ethan Hawke, if memory serves.)

Being a bit obsessed with words, I think of that scene embarrassingly frequently. It?s a dorky daydream: I pretend that I am in the elevator instead of Winona, and as the door closes I blurt out, ?It?s when the reality of a situation doesn?t match your expectations!? Then the door slides open and I get the job. Like I said, I have the fantasies of a nerd.

Anyway, I bring this up because last week I was subject to a severe case of diabetes irony, from which I?m still recovering. I was at the 2013 Joslin Diabetes Innovation Summit, an event presumably geared toward the cutting edge of diabetes technologies and care. Judging from the vendors present (Dexcom, Tandem, etc), I expected to come away psyched about the next generation of diabetes devices that will hopefully soon hit the market. And I did, mostly.

http://asweetlife.org/catherine/blogs/products/when-diabetes-technologies-fail/34147/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back