What's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suziepoo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi After having had higher than normal sugar levels over the last week (15 yesterday and 22 today), I phoned my new GP to get my pioglitazide back. After having explained the whole story,again, she refused as they hadn't had confirmation from the MRI to say they had put me back on it.
She did give me some urine testers but didn't explain what the results mean or how I often I should use them and the box says 'as prescribed'!! Aren't these for type 2s? Plus she says I test too much - try telling that to DVLA!
So 7 months after diagnosis they're still not sure if I'm type 1 or type 2. They can't agree what meds I should be on until I get my needle-phobia sorted. After several calls, I've finally got an appointment with the psychologist at the end of Aug.
Don't go back to see the diabetologist until end of November!
Was going to just jack it all in but have decided to keep detailed record of what I eat, drink, exercise, sugar levels and how often I need to go to the loo in the night! Oh and how often my vision goes blurred again (now my levels are high again, my blurred vision is back)!!
Sorry for the rant! Hate being such a moany mare but thats how they make me feel!
Sue xx

sue that's crazy ... im sorry i cant help Im T2 on meds but im sure the others will be in ...how confusing for you stick at it girl its YOUR health xxx good luck

Sue, this is just nonsense, so sorry you are having to go through all this. Would they put you on insulin if it wasn't for your phobia? If that's the case, then surely that means that you may be at risk of ketones and ketoacidosis (DKA) if your levels go too high? For that reason alone it is important that you test. Are the urine sticks for ketones or glucose? Have they explained why they are having difficulty in determining your type? Have they done C-peptide and GAD antibody tests?

Sorry for all the questions, I just Suedidn't think it was that difficult these days to pin down. You have every right to have a good old rant about it, and good for you for keeping your determination to keep keeping your records and not giving up! 🙂

I hope that something is resolved sooner rather than later, so you can get the right treatment.

Hi Northener
I am supposed to be on insulin but my needle phobia means I can't inject it so am supposed to remain on my tablets for now. Although, it's me constantly chasing everyone to try and get this sorted!
The gp did say the sticks were for ketones but that was about it!
I don't think it helps that my new GP and the consultant don't have records from my old GP - he was the one who said I was type 1. I think he thought this because it came on quickly, didn't respond well to meds, I only weigh 8stone (was only 10 stone at my heaviest!) and can run 5k in 32mins!
But he was never clear about what the tests were and what the results were - but I did have several blood/urine tests over 3 months with him (and nothing at the MRI).
My recent hb1ac was 10% - which I now know is bad!
The consultant said I fall into a 'grey area' for diagnosis! Typical for me to be the freak!
Anyway, thanks for the support and letting me rant. I do feel better and will keep demanding an answer from the NHS!😱

There should be instructions on how to use the ketone testing strips. If your levels irse very high and you begin feeling ill then test. If the strips sow that you have high ketones (usually colour-coded), then seek immediate medical advice as you may be in danger of ketoacidosis.

I do hope you can overcome your phobia Sue, just about the worst phobia you could have when you need insulin! We do have other members who have had similar difficulties and have managed to overcome them, so there is hope. In the meantime, try your best to keep active (but be careful that your levels are not too high e.g. above 15 when you start exercising). Try to keep your carb intake low too, maybe try and fill up on vegetables. Sounds to me like you might be LADA/Type 1.5, where your insulin production is declining. You must have some working beta cells because you cannot function with no insulin at all. If they don't have your former records then they should repeat the tests, surely, so that a proper diagnosis can be made and appropriate treatment given - it's hardly your fault they don't have them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back