What's people's experiences of retinal Lazer surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

uselesspancreas

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've received a letter following my yearly eye screening to say I now need Lazer.

I'm waiting for an appointment date and I'm a little apprehensive ( actually a lot)
What to expect ,any hints or tips
What will it entail ?
Does it hurt ?
Will I need time off work ? (I work with computers)
Will they do both at the same time.?
The letter states it's for both eyes to stabilise bleeds.
I've been diabetic nearly 30 years but feel I've failed somehow.
Sorry for the ooddles of questions.

Thank you for any replies.

Last edited:
I had both eyes lasered in the same session in 2018 for proliferative retinopathy

It can nip as they can't see the nerves so can catch them but it only lasts a few seconds and they will stop and give you a breather if you ask them

I wouldn't have managed computers for the rest of the day after having it done as my vision was blurry and sensitive to light

You just sit with your head on a chin rest basically like what you do for your pictures

The doctor doing mines insisted I take paracetamol before I went in which I didn't want to do but ended up doing so as she was so pushy

I wouldn't feel like you'd failed, I've had 2 related eye complications the first being diagnosed only 1 month into my Type 1 diagnosis due to my hba1c dropping too quickly and they believe that's what caused the retinopathy too as I'd always kept good control so these things happen regardless xx

For me the experience was similar and I was told not to lift anything heavier than 5kg for two weeks to allow for healing. It feels a bit like popping candy at the back of the eye. I usually have a dull ache for the rest of the day. This is one of the complications that is very difficult to prevent from happening like peripheral neuropathy, so in no way have you failed. Do the best you can with your Bg levels to prolong the time between eye surgeries. its been 7 years since my last laser surgery.

Oh yes and take sun glasses with you for after... everything even grey sky will be really bright and possibly purple but this colouration will go in an hour or so.

I agree with @Kaylz, and @Piglet, it’s not your fault or lack of control. Retinopathy is the one complication that is associated with just having the diagnosis of diabetes rather than the lack of control, but of course poor control will make it worse.

I think it must be related to genes - my mother was T1 for decades and never developed retinopathy, and I’ve been T1 for 25 years without any sign of retinopathy. Or any signs of peripheral neuropathy. That’s despite being assumed to be be T2 by my GP because of my age, so I spent 8 months solid relatively uncontrolled early in my career.

I don’t know whether you drive, but don’t drive to or from your appointment. You may have to take a couple of days off work while your eyes settle.

I had no idea lifting weights would be off limits so thank you especially for that.
Looks like a few days off and on the day I won't drive and I'll forward be a dark place to sit.
Thank you so much fir sharing your experiences. Xx

I had no idea lifting weights would be off limits so thank you especially for that.
Looks like a few days off and on the day I won't drive and I'll forward be a dark place to sit.
Thank you so much fir sharing your experiences. Xx
The drops you have will dilate your pupils so def no driving.
You will also have to inform the DVLA you have had both eyes lasered ad have a field vision test to prove you still have full vision.

I had both my retinas lasered at the same time every time I needed treatment & found the thought of laser worse than the reality. You might need more than one or multiple sessions as there is a limit to how many laser burns can be put on the retina each session to avoid inflammation.

Your pupil/pupils are dilated in the normal way and numbing drops are put into your eyes, at the slit lamp table a lens is put against your eye and held there - you can't really tell just feel a bit of pressure- then you see a rapid succession of red lights coming at you, as @Kaylz says they can occasionally nip/sting a bit but if it is painful ask them to move to a different area if possible.

My eyes felt grainy and light sensitive afterwards and the more sessions I needed I started to see a pattern of the laser burns in my vision - they did fade eventually. Also everything turned neon purple for a while after so definitely take sunglasses.

You haven't failed! You've managed Type 1 for 30 years and as said above retinopathy is one of the complications that can happen just because. Obviously all the other stuff we try to control helps enormously glucose, blood pressure, cholesterol but genetics and the luck of the draw also influence what happens.

I find the information on this site really useful for all things retinopathy.

Wishing you well with your appointment.

Well I've had it done ( yesterday) it really wasn't a nice experience.
I tapped out 3/4 the way through the first session.
Wasn't good especially wearing a mask so struggling to breathe whilst having a slightly controlled panic.
Taken till today to feel ok mainly dull headache my eye feeling red hot and a travelling pressure pain across my head.
Feeling like a wimp for tapping out.
Although they said for a first session I did well

Apparently I'll have another in 2 weeks then a month later scans to make sure it's done as it should. Possible further Lazer after that
Feeling pretty angry with the world and I couldn't explain why, I just do.
Anyone got any spare brave pants for my next session.

The first lot of laser I had wasn't very nice at all to the point that I nearly wasn't going to have anymore. Which would have been very stupid of me. I then transferred to Moorfields because I was considering having it done under general anaesthetic because I was that apprehensive.

Fortunately the consultant there gave me the option of having another go and then having general anaesthetic (GA) at a later stage if I wanted - but he did warn that the laser was more risky if I did it under GA (I can't remember why). Anyhow they also told me at Moorfields that the original laser (at another hospital) had been done on quite a harsh setting, and they could see this from looking at my eyes. They said this was quite normal and I'd very well with the number of burns that I'd had - but like you I reached a point with the first one that I had to ask them to stop.
So after that each time a (different) doctor was to do the laser I asked if I could have it on a gentler setting - which they were willing to try each time with the proviso that they would increase it if necessary. I got through the rest with no problem to the point that there is no more room left to laser in my left eye and all of the lasering was successful.
I also had diazepam, prescribed by GP, and low dose cocodamol before each session after the first one. I don't think I felt hardly anything after the original laser treatment.
My laser was the same as for retinopathy but was caused from a retinal vein occlusion that led to neovascularisation hence why I needed so much lasering in the left eye.
Sorry for this being so long, I hope it helps. What they did at Moorfields could easily be done at a local hospital if you're eyes aren't too complicated.

I must admit I was the biggest wimp when I had mine that when it was first mentioned I bolted out and this poor consultant ran after me.

Finally I agreed and had to take my mum along, yes really!

I had a panic attack half way through they had to abandon.

From there I had to have it done in stages.

I must admit I was the biggest wimp when I had mine that when it was first mentioned I bolted out and this poor consultant ran after me.

Finally I agreed and had to take my mum along, yes really!

I had a panic attack half way through they had to abandon.

From there I had to have it done in stages.
Thank you for your reply I felt the same glad I wasn't the only one to tap out
It's such a weird feeling I don't think we are wimps but everyone has their limits.
Because of covid I was on my own.

The first lot of laser I had wasn't very nice at all to the point that I nearly wasn't going to have anymore. Which would have been very stupid of me. I then transferred to Moorfields because I was considering having it done under general anaesthetic because I was that apprehensive.

Fortunately the consultant there gave me the option of having another go and then having general anaesthetic (GA) at a later stage if I wanted - but he did warn that the laser was more risky if I did it under GA (I can't remember why). Anyhow they also told me at Moorfields that the original laser (at another hospital) had been done on quite a harsh setting, and they could see this from looking at my eyes. They said this was quite normal and I'd very well with the number of burns that I'd had - but like you I reached a point with the first one that I had to ask them to stop.
So after that each time a (different) doctor was to do the laser I asked if I could have it on a gentler setting - which they were willing to try each time with the proviso that they would increase it if necessary. I got through the rest with no problem to the point that there is no more room left to laser in my left eye and all of the lasering was successful.
I also had diazepam, prescribed by GP, and low dose cocodamol before each session after the first one. I don't think I felt hardly anything after the original laser treatment.
My laser was the same as for retinopathy but was caused from a retinal vein occlusion that led to neovascularisation hence why I needed so much lasering in the left eye.
Sorry for this being so long, I hope it helps. What they did at Moorfields could easily be done at a local hospital if you're eyes aren't too complicated.

Hi I’m new to the forum and just been reading your laser experience I’m due to have full retina laser soon. Just wondering how many treatments you had and how are you. It would be great if you would let me know, just so nervous. Thanks

I've received a letter following my yearly eye screening to say I now need Lazer.

I'm waiting for an appointment date and I'm a little apprehensive ( actually a lot)
What to expect ,any hints or tips
What will it entail ?
Does it hurt ?
Will I need time off work ? (I work with computers)
Will they do both at the same time.?
The letter states it's for both eyes to stabilise bleeds.
I've been diabetic nearly 30 years but feel I've failed somehow.
Sorry for the ooddles of questions.

Thank you for any replies.
Hi I’m new to forum and like your post I’ve so many questions. I’m waiting to have laser treatment for retinopathy and I’m so nervous wondering did you have further treatment etc it would be great if you reply. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back