What's happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddie99

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ok so at twenty past eight my blood wasa 5.8 mmol/L. That was after a half hour suspend to bring it up from 4.3 mmol/L. At twenty past nine I'd shot up to 15.4 mmol/L. I don't understand what's happened. Any ideas?

What basal rates were you on at that time and what was your eve bolus and meal CH?

Lets break it down! 🙂

Tom, if you have suspended then you are depriving yourself of the basal insulin - what rate are you at this time of the day? You may have over compensated.🙂Bev

I hope its not unhelpful to say but I never suspend. If for some reason you should want virtually no insulin my thoughts would be to temp basal and go to 0.025u/hr just incase you forgot to switch it on again.

Hello Ladies,

I just tested again and got a 16.9 after a five unit correction which shouldn't happen.

My basal at this time of night is 1.05 units per hour.

The thing is, I can get things down in the day to reasonable levels with a temp basal but when I think all is well and I take them off I rocket back up? Maybe I am running an infection or something. I would like to see my CRP's at this moment in time.

Tom

Ouch. 16.9?

Do you feel unwell in any way? These high numbers you have run lately must be making you feel a bit crap. Perhaps you do have a bit of something brewing?

Do you use patterns at all Tom? I would consider setting to run for te next 12-24 hours perhaps.

What was your evening meal Tom?

Yeah I probably do have something on the go. Great. Exams, the lurgie and everything else to deal with. Oh happy days! I will call the consultant tomorrow to ask his opinion. I've set a temp basal of 200% for 12 hours.

Edit - I do have a bit of an off stomach and it's a bit tight up under my ribs. Damn thorax. I would love to see my CRP's at this moment. That would give me an idea if I had an infection on the go.

Tom

Yeah I probably do have something on the go. Great. Exams, the lurgie and everything else to deal with. Oh happy days! I will call the consultant tomorrow to ask his opinion. I've set a temp basal of 200% for 12 hours.

Make sure your tutors know what's been happening Tom, don't be proud.

Edit - I do have a bit of an off stomach and it's a bit tight up under my ribs. Damn thorax. I would love to see my CRP's at this moment. That would give me an idea if I had an infection on the go.

Tom

Sorry to ask...but whats CRP's?

Thanks

Bernie xx🙂

Sorry to ask...but whats CRP's?

Thanks

Bernie xx🙂

CRP = C reactive protein. It's something that's in your blood plasma any way but raised levels can indicate infections. If memory serves raised levels would indicate an acute phase of infection.

CRP = C reactive protein. It's something that's in your blood plasma any way but raised levels can indicate infections. If memory serves raised levels would indicate an acute phase of infection.

Thanks for the info, ya learn something new (all these abbreviations n all).....

Bernie xx 🙂

EDIT: Sorry i know nothing about pumps but i would speak to someone that does know. Why do these things happen on a bank holiday weekender?! I would always prefer to run slightly low than way too high but pumps do baffle me....good luck with it all damn diabetes...

Last edited:
Tom,

Just a feeling- obviously I cant advise like that, but 200% for 12 hours seems a lot. Will you be checking overnight?

If I can adapt Sams phrase of "rage bolusing" to "rage basaling"? Im worried you might hypo with the correction on board as well....

Bernie,

It's what I'm studying at uni!

Lou,

I've got the alarm clock set for three in the morning so that'll be interesting.

Tom

Oh that's good......sorry to sound like a complete nag! I am glad you are doing the 3am diabetes breakfast club 😉 I am happier knowing that.

Wish you better Tom.

Had an 8.8 mmol/L at three this morning. Just woken up to a 3.3 hypo. Ah well, it beats sky high.

Oh dear, at least you are nearer to getting back on target.

Big temp basals always have a habit of catching you in the end....it might be worth jotting down what you did and the numbers you got to help you decide what you might set up for the future, or a quick download to carelink.

Hope you have a better day today.

Lou x

Today finds me already on a temporary basal rate of 175%. That's going on what I did yesterday. I'll be calling the consultant later on today.

Tom

Do you use Carelink Tom? I was wondering if your team do what I do, my log-in is my initial and surname followed by my hospital number, so when they review over the phone they can log in and have a look...I think its a really good way of doing things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back