What would happen if

Status
Not open for further replies.

gail2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
someone who was taking insulin stopped taking it long term. I know bg would rise reason i ask is that I watched a very old episode of Holby City during the night(ok i was that bored and unable to sleep) Im just curious thats all
gail

Last edited by a moderator:
They would become very ill and if left untreated would eventually die!:( Toby.

If you were Type 1 then you would develop DKA. You would lose an awful lot of weight very quickly, including muscle tissue not just fat, and feel extremely sick. I know because this is how I was when I got diagnosed :( A Type 2 would be at risk of HONK rather than DKA, which can be equally dreadful. Absolutely not recommended at all! 😱

If you were Type 1 then you would develop DKA. You would lose an awful lot of weight very quickly, including muscle tissue not just fat, and feel extremely sick. I know because this is how I was when I got diagnosed :( A Type 2 would be at risk of HONK rather than DKA, which can be equally dreadful. Absolutely not recommended at all! 😱

HONK excuse my ignorance what is that

HONK HONK
Despite of its cute name, it's a nasty one...😱

someone who was taking insulin stopped taking it long term. I know bg would rise reason i ask is that I watched a very old episode of Holby City during the night(ok i was that bored and unable to sleep) Im just curious thats all
gail

I could go into a great deal of detail about what would happen, including how painful it is, and what you body would be going through, but I don't think you need scarring into being that silly do you?
I have had full blown DKA on no less than 7 occasions, mostly caused through various ilnesses (I have always had a weakened immune system) and each time I have physically felt as though I was going to die. It is not pleasant, and the only way of over coming it isby seeking medical help very fast.

If anyone wants a description of how it actually feels to go DKA when you've been controling your condition with Insulin for several years, just ask, I will give an account of it if you wish 😉

Can I please ask...what is the equivelent of '40mmol'

It say's on the HONK Link, that the BG's would be around this measure...But I don't understand? Is it say 16...In UK?

Ellowyne x

Can I please ask...what is the equivelent of '40mmol'

It say's on the HONK Link, that the BG's would be around this measure...But I don't understand? Is it say 16...In UK?

Ellowyne x

That would be a measurement on your UK meter of 40 mmol/l. In the US this would be 720 mg/dl. Very high! I was 37 mmol.l at diagnosis, which is 666 mg/dl! 😱

Also, if a Type 2 was no longer producing any insulin of their own, they would suffer DKA rather than HONK.

i was diagnosed at level 48mmol (thought i just had flu) and i collapsed as soon as i walked through to A&E, then my organs started failing. A year after i stopped taking my insulin (absolutely rediculous but i tried to pretend i wasnt a diabetic) for a week and was so so poorly with it, couldn't eat, couldnt sleep kept being sick even after water. Lost a stone in a week, seriously the worst time of my life. I couldnt hold my own head up once i got to hospital and my mum had to feed me. i hate to think what i did long term damage wise to this as well. I thought i was dying, honestly. taught me a very good lesson though

i was diagnosed at level 48mmol (thought i just had flu) and i collapsed as soon as i walked through to A&E, then my organs started failing. A year after i stopped taking my insulin (absolutely rediculous but i tried to pretend i wasnt a diabetic) for a week and was so so poorly with it, couldn't eat, couldnt sleep kept being sick even after water. Lost a stone in a week, seriously the worst time of my life. I couldnt hold my own head up once i got to hospital and my mum had to feed me. i hate to think what i did long term damage wise to this as well. I thought i was dying, honestly. taught me a very good lesson though

Agree with all you say Rach - I will never forget how dreadfully ill I was and hope never to repeat the experience.

This has probably been said before, but would it be a good idea to have a stickied thread with the signs of DKA and HONK so that members can learn from those of us who have been through it and not have to experience it firsthand? If I'd been informed of it on diagnosis I would have sought help sooner than I did each time I've gone bad.

Just an Idea 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back