What would be considered a high reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebstar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello me again with another question. When I test I very rarely go over 10, usually after porridge which seems to spike me, normally I'm between 8 and 9.5 after a meal depending on what it is. It's usually down below 6 within 2 hours. In the morning on waking I'm usually bewtween 5.4 and 6. Are these figures acceptable. I've virtually cut out all white bread and try to eat brown rice or pasta instead of potatoes although I've not cut potatoes out altogether. Also, out of curiousity, I tested my husband after we had had the same meal we both went up to about 8.9 and came down to about 5.7 at the same time. Does anyone know why we would be virtually the same. I see my diabetic nurse for my first review since diagnosis at the end of the month so have been left on my own for nearly 5 months, and she told me not to test but I feel I would have been eating lots of the wrong food if I hadn't been testing to see what affect different foods had on me (that's how I kinow about what porridge does to me). I'm dreading my review.

Hello me again with another question. When I test I very rarely go over 10, usually after porridge which seems to spike me, normally I'm between 8 and 9.5 after a meal depending on what it is. It's usually down below 6 within 2 hours. In the morning on waking I'm usually bewtween 5.4 and 6. Are these figures acceptable. I've virtually cut out all white bread and try to eat brown rice or pasta instead of potatoes although I've not cut potatoes out altogether. Also, out of curiousity, I tested my husband after we had had the same meal we both went up to about 8.9 and came down to about 5.7 at the same time. Does anyone know why we would be virtually the same. I see my diabetic nurse for my first review since diagnosis at the end of the month so have been left on my own for nearly 5 months, and she told me not to test but I feel I would have been eating lots of the wrong food if I hadn't been testing to see what affect different foods had on me (that's how I kinow about what porridge does to me). I'm dreading my review.

Dear Sebstar,

I think that your figures are excellent, so I think your protocol is working for you. Regarding your husband, it could be OK, the agreement you quote could just be a coincidence. You are absolutely correct to test because it is vital that you know what foods you can tolerate, this differs for everyone so only your testing can show what is right for you. BTW have you had an HbA1c yet?

Regards Dodger

No I haven't had a HbA1c I've not seen anyone since July apart from eye and feet examinations. Am seeing nurse on 20 Oct in one respect I'm looking forward to being able to talk to the nurse but on the other hand am worried what my results will be like.

Hi Sebstar, try not to worry about the review, from the numbers you have quoted I think you will be fine - those figures are great! I think you are doing absolutely the right thing to test after eating - I'm always astonished that doctors don't see the common-sense in doing this. Regarding porridge - what type do you eat? The instant stuff will probably spike you much more than conventional oats, so don't give up on it if you enjoy it!🙂

I dont think you have anything to worry about 🙂

Good work!

Hi Sebstar,

Your numbers sound great! Is you husband diabetic or non-diabetic? If he's not diabetic then I think that you've done well to get him to agree to be tested. I don't think that my wife would agree to that.

At what time do you test after meals to get the figures 8 and 9.5? Personally, I try to keep my peaks (one hour after finishing eating) below 8 but I don't always manage to achieve that.

I think that the on rising result gives a good guide to overall control and that if things start going off track at other times of the day then the morning results start to rise. That's what seems to happen to me but I've no real evidence that is the case.

Aghhhhh the dreaded porridge and other cereals - I wish that I'd never started eating any of them!

John

excellent figures, you are doing very well ! re first visit to nurse youll have lots to ask and will get lots of answers but if you are anything like me you'll forget everything....this is where this forum comes into its own...try and write down anything you are confused about and ask away. The problem with only seeing the nurse occasionally is there is so much to ask inbetween...good luck

like you sebstar I'm usually 6.5-8 most days but once in a while i hit 10-12 ,
do what i do before an appointment with the diabetic nurse make a list of things you want to ask don't worry they're used to it so you wont look silly lol

I usually test an hour after eating and then 2 hours. It cost's a fortune because I have to buy the strips myself thank god for ebay. Thanks for all your answers folks I will take your advice and write down things I want to ask the nurse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back