What we should aim for re: BS levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
You may know this already but thought you might like to see a response back that i received from DUK when i emailed a question regarding what the BS levels should be:-

'You are quite right in that the NICE guidelines for adults with Type 2 diabetes is between 4-7 mmol/L before meals and less than 8.5 mmol/L two hours after meals. It is important that the blood glucose levels being aimed for are as near normal as possible (that is in the range of those of a person who does not have diabetes), which are 3.5 - 5.5mmols/l before meals and less than 8mmols/l, 2 hours after meals.

The NICE guidelines are based on clinical evidence which show that people who keep their blood glucose levels within their target (or with an HbA1c of 6.5%) at greatly reducing the risk of developing long-term complications of diabetes.

There are many different opinions about the ideal range to aim for. As this is so individual to each person, the target levels must be agreed between the person and their diabetes team.'

I couldn't agree more Carina, setting individual targets is the best way forward taking into account present health and lifestyle factors. As we are diabetics, it is pointless trying to achieve the impossible, and there is no scientific evidence to suggest that knocking 0.5 of a a1c when already within acceptable limits of say 5-6 is beneficial long term.

Hi Carina,

There are many different opinions on the levels after eating!

In my opinion I partly agree with what you were told.

Personally, I like to keep my below 7.8 mmol/L at the peak after eating, rather than the two hour rule and below 6.5 two hours after eating.

You may be interested at looking at this flyer http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/flyer-mmol.pdf found on www.bloodsugar101.com.

My personal target was set at no more than 11, 2 hours after meals.

You may know this already but thought you might like to see a response back that i received from DUK when i emailed a question regarding what the BS levels should be:-

'You are quite right in that the NICE guidelines for adults with Type 2 diabetes is between 4-7 mmol/L before meals and less than 8.5 mmol/L two hours after meals.'
You might like to ask how an insulin controlled T2 can aim for the before meal target and drive a car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back