What to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
So my basal is definitely showing the signs of being on the rise again as expected. So after lunch having had to give a correction unit, ive risen and stayed hovering between 14.5 and 15mmol. Im on mdi. So i would usually wait until tea time for tge correction. Is it possible to give sooner? Got my covid jab and need to get this back down before then. Will raise by basal injection tomorrow. Although last nights basal was good im debating about raising that by half tonight?

Last edited:
How confident are you to give correction doses?
When was your last bolus?

I am pretty confident with corrections and often given them taking into consideration any IOB (bolus insulin still active).
If the last bolus was more than 4 hours ago, the risk is pretty low. Plus as our levels get higher, we experience insulin resistance so our basal is less effective too.

However, I would be more cautious about making a basal change based on one day's experience, especially if you were ok last night. When there are so many things which can affect our blood sugars, it may be something that will not affect you tomorrow and you will go low. This is why the recommendation is to always make changes based on trends not one off events. For example, you may be slightly anxious about the covid jab and that anxiety has raised your BG.

I get what you're saying. Im on levemir and conscious that my basal changes very quickly. Monday i spent alk day high, raised my basal by half and was ok yesterday. Today im running high again. Havent done a corrrection dose this afternoon but i do tend to do them in the evening ifno sign of coming down by 8pm at im at 16 but as i can do half unit doses that's alk ill do and it kick starts it back down. But i know ive not got another meal coming up to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back