What to do with old not working readers

Status
Not open for further replies.

serenabee

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi! I've somehow built up a collection of no longer working blood sugar readers eg Aviva expert and lots of freestyle libre 1 and 2 readers that stopped charging/ working. I'm having a clear out - are they of any use to anyone before I dispose of them?

If they don’t work then other people are unlikely to want them

They definitely won't be of any use for testing blood sugar levels. I was thinking if anyone was interested in disassembling them for any reason.
I'll just dispose of them.

It’s a very good question as these can’t be easily disposed of: does anyone know of any recycling schemes? I also have acquired a fair collection of these over the years!

They definitely won't be of any use for testing blood sugar levels. I was thinking if anyone was interested in disassembling them for any reason.
I'll just dispose of them.
Don’t put in general waste unless you can remove the batteries first

I was going to take them to the council recycling centre if no use could be found for them. I suppose I thought someone technology savvy would know of a trick to get them working again especially the Aviva expert.
Thanks for the replies.

I suppose I thought someone technology savvy would know of a trick to get them working again especially the Aviva expert.
Probably not. I imagine the battery could be replaced (if it uses a rechargeable battery that's no longer working), but as I understand it these things gradually wear out (contacts that the test strips need to touch, for example), so I'd guess there's not enough value in trying to repair them.

My local B&Q has a disposal point for small (I mean small) electrical/electronic items and batteries and we took a lot of dead batteries to Curry's and got a £5 voucher in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back