What the difference from Lantus to Levemir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosie:)

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I just bin put on Lantus from Levemir and I just wanted to know if anyone know what the difference is?
Thanks
X

Lantus is most often (though not always) taken in one dose. Levemir is quite often taken in two smaller doses, either roughly equal and approx 12 hours apart, or slightly tweaked for timing/amount to accommodate the person's slightly different daytime and nighttime basal requirements.

As is often the case, larger doses tend to act over a longer time, though people injecting Levemir in two doses seem to find 12-14 hours activity is expected.

Additionally if you are the sort of person who has been tweaking their Levemir doses as your basal requirements shift and change or to accommodate expected activity levels, bear in mind that Lantus quite often seems to take a day or two to settle into a new pattern and is slightly less flexible in that respect.

I'm interested in shifting in the opposite direction (from Lantus to Levemir). Interested to hear why you were 'put on' Lantus. Did you have problems with Levemir? What benefits did your team suggest you would get from the switch?

M

Don't know why but that link is being reported as an attack page by google!

Diabetes Health is listed as suspicious for remotely linked malware/trojans in the past 90 days.
Has this site hosted malware?
No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?
In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Looked it up on a Mac first (which doesn't seem to have been affected)

Diabetes Health is listed as suspicious for remotely linked malware/trojans in the past 90 days.

Looked it up on a Mac first (which doesn't seem to have been affected)

Perhaps they've had some spammers posting nasties then :( I got a Trojan warning from someone's blog the other day, scum of the internet I hate them with a vengeance! 😡

Regarding weight gain - from my experience I believe that the higher the dose of insulin the more likely you are to put on weight. I have come to this conclusion after my Levemir dosage went up and up until I stopped taking Crestor (rosuvastatin) when my Levemir dosage wnet back to pre Crestor levels. My weight went up with the Levemir dosage and has gone back down (despite eating more carbs). Could be the statin of course but these things are so complicated.

I thought I read soemwhere that Levemir was made from Yeast culture and Lantus from E-Coli.

Just had to post this one - from the Novo Nordisk web site about Levemir:

"The most common side effect of insulin therapy, including Levemir?, is low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)."

No kidding - fancy that.:D

You might find this useful:
http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/prevention/lantusnotes.htm

[Note: - Just re-found this article - it's a very good intro to control of your diabetes and insulin injections.]

to give the jist of it:

{Quote The two long acting insulins are Levemir (detemir) or Lantus (glargine). Levemir is shorter acting, with a peak 9-12 hours. Lantus generally has no peak in the first 24 hours, and its action may take 3 days to complete. Therefore anyone with a slightly irregular lifestyle in theory will be better off using twice daily Levemir rather than once daily Lantus. At present, this decision is usually made by diabetes doctors and nurses.

If you do use once daily Lantus, and your glucose levels fluctuate, then you should consider twice daily Levemir instead }end Quote

Last edited:
By the way... that Malware/Trojan alert on the Diabetes Health page seems to have cleared today.

Lantus is most often (though not always) taken in one dose. Levemir is quite often taken in two smaller doses, either roughly equal and approx 12 hours apart, or slightly tweaked for timing/amount to accommodate the person's slightly different daytime and nighttime basal requirements.

As is often the case, larger doses tend to act over a longer time, though people injecting Levemir in two doses seem to find 12-14 hours activity is expected.

Additionally if you are the sort of person who has been tweaking their Levemir doses as your basal requirements shift and change or to accommodate expected activity levels, bear in mind that Lantus quite often seems to take a day or two to settle into a new pattern and is slightly less flexible in that respect.

I'm interested in shifting in the opposite direction (from Lantus to Levemir). Interested to hear why you were 'put on' Lantus. Did you have problems with Levemir? What benefits did your team suggest you would get from the switch?

M

Hi thanks for all your help 🙂 sorry it took me so long to get back to you.
Well the reason they made me switch is they said that lantus last longer and my levemir was runing out in the morning so it would be better but i?m not so shore 🙂 it?s bin making me feel realy really unwell and i wanted to know dos anyone know if lantus make you put more weight on then levemir?

Hi Rosie
Hopefully your team will have considered all possible alternatives. Have they suggested you try 2 shots per 24 hrs of Levemir before trying Lantus (as 1 or 2 shots per 24 hrs)?
Re weight gain - basically, effective insulin will increase weight gain, but only if you don't limit / reduce calorie intake and / or increase calorie expenditure, which doesn't have to mean sport / gym - walking, cycling etc can all work well; geocaching can provide aims for walks / bike rides; Parkruns and orienteering are fun ways to encourage running; dancing can burn lots of calories etc - just ask, as many of us enjoy lots of activities

Hi Rosie
Hopefully your team will have considered all possible alternatives. Have they suggested you try 2 shots per 24 hrs of Levemir before trying Lantus (as 1 or 2 shots per 24 hrs)?
Re weight gain - basically, effective insulin will increase weight gain, but only if you don't limit / reduce calorie intake and / or increase calorie expenditure, which doesn't have to mean sport / gym - walking, cycling etc can all work well; geocaching can provide aims for walks / bike rides; Parkruns and orienteering are fun ways to encourage running; dancing can burn lots of calories etc - just ask, as many of us enjoy lots of activities

Hi, thanks for your post ,
I think that they should of tried the two shots before this cos I feel it?s just not working and they just seem to do it without thinking about it to me and it just maid me think she maybe just put me on this one to put on some weight.
What do you think is better Levemir or Lantus?
x

Vicsetter's reference gives you the basics on the differences between Levemir & Lantus. It's not that either is better or worse, they're just different and each suits some people better than the other. Then there's the addition option of 2 shots of whichever insulin you use. You need whichever regime suits your lifestyle - weight gain / loss requirements, eating patterns, activity patterns etc. Hope you can work out a good solution with your diabetes team - they know you best. Some people even change insulin regimes because they want to use certain pen devices. For me, being able to adjust Humalin I doses twice every 24 hrs gives me more flexibility to deal with irregular hours / activity times; having a reusable pen, rather than disposable pens is important, as I prefer to conserve resources, but that might not be a major concern for other people. Just mentioning things you might want to discuss with your team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back