What the cruel death of my parents taught me about our 'caring' NHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
When I was 12, my mother developed what she described as tingling in her legs and ?funny feelings? when she walked too far. She consulted a neurologist, after which she described her nameless and strange affliction as her ?condition?, which was what her doctor had called it.

Neither my father nor I ever thought of questioning this meaningless diagnosis. A quarter of a century passed before we learned the truth.
In 1987, they were to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary and I was planning a party for them. But my mother was being difficult about this: disengaged, even churlish. I begged her to end the secrecy and tell me just what was going on.

And so in a flat voice she told me. Her neurologist had finally told her the true nature of her ?condition?. After treating her for 25 years, he was now retiring from practice ? and he chose this final consultation to tell her that what she had was multiple sclerosis. How could this possibly have happened? For the neurologist to have kept this from her meant there must in turn have been a conspiracy of secrecy for a quarter of a century between him, her GP, the psychiatrist who treated her for depression and everyone else she?d seen in the NHS.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rents-taught-caring-NHS-MELANIE-PHILLIPS.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back