what should i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bex123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
well as many of u know ive been on the pump for a couple of months now , thing is i havent touched a drop of booze ( worried what effect it will have) i am supposed to be going out with some mates tonight and booze will be a bg part of the night , ive never tested to see what effect booze has on the bg so im worried

should i take the pump off for the night? should i just not drink? worried about my pump being dammage because of drunk ppl etc etc , im just thinking i should cry off from going out and do a few drink tests at home before i try to go out and drink :confused:

i wouldn't get paraletic any way i would only have a few as i usually organise getting home etc for my mates (put them in a taxi) lol , just confsed it wasnt a subjec or problem that came up when i was on mdi:confused:

Go and enjoy yourself and tell a couple of mates you can trust. Keep an eye on things and adjust as necessary.

As I understand it the advice for people on whatever form of insulin is to have something to eat as well as drink and maybe space the aclohol out with a soft drink (diet of course) in between times. I'm not sure how it works because I can't drink at all these days, some of the millions of pills I'm taking each day object strenuously to alcohol in my coffee stream.

As I understand it the advice for people on whatever form of insulin is to have something to eat as well as drink and maybe space the aclohol out with a soft drink (diet of course) in between times. I'm not sure how it works because I can't drink at all these days, some of the millions of pills I'm taking each day object strenuously to alcohol in my coffee stream.

lol coffee stream lol i like that:D
i didnt think of that , could definatley order food to have with my drink and bolus for it .yum plate of chips:D
What confuses me is i know people have said booze lowers the blood sugar
im working this out as i type lol , i suppose i could lower my basal a bit for the night to reduce the risk of hypos

It's one of those things that you'll eventually work out with a bit of trial and error, but as long as you're sensible, there's no reason to go out and enjoy yourself! :D

I tend to find the pump is pretty robust, so I don't worry about it being knocked/damaged etc. Have something to eat, and just keep an eye on your blood sugars. The only advice I would give is be careful if you're correcting, as sometimes alcohol increases your blood sugar at first, and then drops it later.

I tend to just do a couple of extra tests so I know what's going on, make sure I have hypo treatment on me, and I reduce my basal a little bit overnight, but that's because I know I tend to drop overnight if I've had a couple of drinks. If I'm at the lower end of my target range before bed, I have a small snack and don't bolus before I go to sleep.

Relax, just keep an eye on things, and have fun! 🙂

Bex go ahead and have a ball let yourself go it wont hurt this once 😉
Like has been said tell a couple of good mates you trust really well x

dont know how the pump works, but i usually inject units depending on the alcohol, beer has carbs and cider, wine does not as well as spirits.

So if there is no carbs..........reduce your basal (if you can on pumps) that night and always have something to eat like a bowl of cereal uncovered with insulin.......and be prepared to snack in between drinks

Have fun...........I will tonight.

update..

well i kept the pump on and hid it quite well i thought 🙂
bg was pretty stable all evening/night running a little higher than i normaly would but not bad
only thing was i woke with a hypo at 8 am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back