What questions should I ask?

Studious Pip

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I've seen my recent blood test results. I'm at 51 so am Type 2 diabetic. I've got my first appointment with the diabetes nurse coming up. I know it's gonna be a lot of telling me about lifestyle changes etc. I'm prepared for that!

But are there any questions I should ask? I'm gonna ask if there's cheaper access to local fitness facilities that can be 'prescribed' but what other help have other folk been offered that I should enquire about?

I want to go in armed so I can say, "Yes, this is a me problem. But you can help by doing this..."

Thanks!

I've seen my recent blood test results. I'm at 51 so am Type 2 diabetic. I've got my first appointment with the diabetes nurse coming up. I know it's gonna be a lot of telling me about lifestyle changes etc. I'm prepared for that!

But are there any questions I should ask? I'm gonna ask if there's cheaper access to local fitness facilities that can be 'prescribed' but what other help have other folk been offered that I should enquire about?

I want to go in armed so I can say, "Yes, this is a me problem. But you can help by doing this..."

Thanks!
With an HbA1c of 51 I would be surprised if you were prescribed medication and instead were offered the opportunity to turn things around through lifestyle changes, ie diet, being more active and losing weight (if necessary). If they do try and put you on meds maybe you'd want to push the lifestyle changes option yourself, but that's your choice.

As for what other help other folk have been offered, in my case it was none at all.

With an HbA1c of 51 I would be surprised if you were prescribed medication and instead were offered the opportunity to turn things around through lifestyle changes, ie diet, being more active and losing weight (if necessary). If they do try and put you on meds maybe you'd want to push the lifestyle changes option yourself, but that's your choice.

As for what other help other folk have been offered, in my case it was none at all.
Sounds like you have given it a great deal of thought. Write down the questions, it is so easy to forget stuff.

In my case, I was told nothing and just left to get on with it. Thank god for the forum.

Thanks. Food changes aren't a problem (ish!) cos I live alone. But getting more active is a challenge. I'm a sloth! Walking doesn't appeal and everything else is so expensive!

I would ask about the lethargy that you mentioned in your other thread.
It may be that you are a night owl or you may be exhausted at 7am because you have been awake all night and need some tips on how to adjust your internal clock by a few hours.

If you are not careful, you might get referred to Weight-Watchers, or some such organisation! Have your rebuttal ready*!
You might be advised to take up gym membership, which is a niche enthusiasm and an expensive one at that.
As people have said above, the most likely suggestion will be lifestyle changes coupled with a much more healthier diet. For this, you might get referred to a dietician and be asked to keep the dreaded Food Diary for a week or two, followed by the Meeting of Shame when your dietary deficiencies are discussed in detail.
I hope your meeting with the diabetes nurse goes well!

* sorry, that was an accidental bum pun...!

If you are not careful, you might get referred to Weight-Watchers, or some such organisation! Have your rebuttal ready*!
You might be advised to take up gym membership, which is a niche enthusiasm and an expensive one at that.
As people have said above, the most likely suggestion will be lifestyle changes coupled with a much more healthier diet. For this, you might get referred to a dietician and be asked to keep the dreaded Food Diary for a week or two, followed by the Meeting of Shame when your dietary deficiencies are discussed in detail.
I hope your meeting with the diabetes nurse goes well!

* sorry, that was an accidental bum pun...!
I appreciate this is the experience some people with type 2 have on their first appointment but, is it an appropriate response for someone looking for positive help? Someone who has already said they are wanting to ask for cheaper access to fitness facilities?
For some a referral to WW has been really helpful. I am sure there is a member who mentioned the value their partner got from WW when they were diagnosed as pre-diabetic.
There have also been members enthusing about their low carb friendly DSN. And what is wrong with a food diary? It is something I was asked to complete with my diabetes and I found it useful (even if the DSN was not up on some of my International cuisine).

I would make a list of questions as it is easy to forget and write down anything you might need to check up on later.
Make sure you get foot and retinal eye screening booked and also a HbA1C test in 3 months to monitor whether your dietary measures are being successful.

Back