What on earth is happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
So I've dropped my basal by 3 (was in total 10) , dropped 2 during the day and 1 at night, cos I'm more active. But it seems I need to drop more . I've already taken a who unit off my meals , breakfast now looks ok but lunch could do with another half off and I bet dinners the same tonight after last night's drop about after dinner. Toying with either another unit off daytime basal again bringing daytime down to 5 with night at 1. Is this normal to drop this low. I'm not a heavy person. Slim build.

Basal needs do change and increased activity levels can have quite a significant effect in lowering your needs as well as increased ambient temp. I have had significant reductions and increases during the 3 years I have been diabetic. You need what you need and adjust as necessary. Sounds like you are doing really well in recognizing what needs doing and making those adjustments. If you get to zero units for basal and bolus we will consider you cured and want to know your secret. 😉

Just for context there was a lady on my DAFNE course who had been diabetic for 50years and she only needed a couple of units of basal once a day and not much more bolus, but she was regularly hypoing badly during the night and shooting up to mid teens almost every day..... thankfully they got her fast tracked for a pump because she really needed much finer control than MDI provided with such low insulin needs.

Hi Barbra, thanks for that. Im hoping it's not going to take much more of a change. If I remember rightly my numbers where fairly low last summer, then came up late autumn. Ive only just got to grips with basals and last year I thought I was rising for the summer. I wasn't on split basal then. I'm ok over night on one but feel that if I do an evening bar then I'll be on zero for the evening

Mind you it has made me wonder if the Lyumjev is too strong for me now I'm more active.

No 1 rule is to sort your basal out first.
If you try changing both basal and bolus at the same time, you will end up chasing your tail as wont have a clue which is working or not as the case may be.

No 1 rule is to sort your basal out first.
If you try changing both basal and bolus at the same time, you will end up chasing your tail as wont have a clue which is working or not as the case may be.
Very true, I tried that and I'm still dropping like stone about an hour after a meal. My boluses was working ok then last week wok picked up considerably first time since shut down which was when I was originally diagnosed type 1. So now im having to establish my requirements for excersise per sey that is very inconsistent. I remember being told by a Dan that my basal needed to be 10! Now it looks like tomorrow I'll be down to 5.

Very true, I tried that and I'm still dropping like stone about an hour after a meal. My boluses was working ok then last week wok picked up considerably first time since shut down which was when I was originally diagnosed type 1. So now im having to establish my requirements for excersise per sey that is very inconsistent. I remember being told by a Dan that my basal needed to be 10! Now it looks like tomorrow I'll be down to 5.
You need to do some basal testing first to see what is going on. There's a link in the pump forum. Many people do have different carb ratios during the day as well. Mine at lunch time is 1/16 at the moment and evening meal 1/14

You need to do some basal testing first to see what is going on. There's a link in the pump forum. Many people do have different carb ratios during the day as well. Mine at lunch time is 1/16 at the moment and evening meal 1/14
I don't have the room for that, my day is just too busy with work and other people relying on me and I get too hungry. I'm Hungry all the time more or less . I have been thinking that I really need to do it though.

Hope your doses settle down for you @gillrogers

I generally find I can leave my meal ratios the same and just adjust my basal more often than not. Though if basal has changed quite a bit on one direction sometimes meal doses do need a tweak.

It’s the regular runaround with T1 it seems! Constantly tweaking and readjusting things you’ve already sorted out! 🙄

Hope your doses settle down for you @gillrogers

I generally find I can leave my meal ratios the same and just adjust my basal more often than not. Though if basal has changed quite a bit on one direction sometimes meal doses do need a tweak.

It’s the regular runaround with T1 it seems! Constantly tweaking and readjusting things you’ve already sorted out! 🙄
So last night showed me that it looks like my bolus is the same, so this morning I dropped my basal one unit more and upped my bolus back to what it was. So far so good! Fingers crossed

Yes! Breakfast worked , lunch should too

Oh my life, just 4 days layer my dB nurse finally gets back to me and says it's not my basal but my lyumjev but keep the ratios. Then she said sometimes our requirements can change by a unit or two adhoc.

Don't worry I thought too myself, ive sorted it out lol. But I can see me having to give up my little part time job cos it's just too sporadic and it's just stressing me out with worry about letting people down like I had to Saturday cos I was too busy fighting an ever decreasing low that took a while to come back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back