What new pathway for glucose management has been opened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendod66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Screenshot_20230502_121852.jpgScreenshot_20230502_230821.jpgScreenshot_20230503_172436.jpgScreenshot_20230502_230826.jpg

So type 1 diabetic for ten years. Poor control last few years. Bloods rocket then hypo.
Monday I add in resveratrol and nmn, suggested by a friend for longevity benefits.
I have eaten normally and also hammered carbs in excess of 150g when hypo.

I have had zero novorapid, and had to constantly reduce my tuejeo each day this week.

I cannot understand how all of a sudden I need ZERO novorapid. Like ten jelly babies would normally spike my bloods, I ate 2 packs and it barely moved from 4 to 6.

It's the strangest thing I've ever experienced. I have dropped from 66iu of tuejeo down to 30 today to try to combat my bloods hovering around the 4.0 mark.

I have this strange feeling that if I stop the long acting I would still have perfect blood sugar.
It's like a whole new pathway has been activated to manage glucose.

Which then puts me in a place of zero injections.
I have fingerpricked and they confirm the Libra sensor. Last pic is of a typical day pre Monday, so lots of peaks and injections. Screenshot_20230504_174302.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230503_172436.jpg
    Screenshot_20230503_172436.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1
Interesting results you’ve found there.

Have you ever been genetically checked for MODY @kendod66

It’s a bit of a rare one, so is often overlooked. I suspect you have probably not been T1 all along. You wouldn’t be the first MODY to have been misclassified, and to eventually find out they could come off insulin.

Reservatrol is not much more than an antioxidant / anti-inflammatory. NMN seems to be sold with it (often at great expense) as a sort of anti-ageing supplement.

Glad you’ve had a positive experience, but I don’t think the supplements can be the full cause. Unfortunately it’s an unregulated area, and snake oil sales tactics are rife. There is no solid clinical trial data that such supplements are beneficial for people with diabetes, or even that they are safe to use.

I’d be cautious, and discuss with your Dr and ask for genetic testing for monogenic diabetes (MODY).

What is mody? I've not heard of that before.

And thanks for taking the time to reply, I was diagnosed after coma from DKA ten years ago.

What is mody? I've not heard of that before.

And thanks for taking the time to reply, I was diagnosed after coma from DKA ten years ago.
MODY stands for “Maturity-onset diabetes of the young” and was given that name in the past because it acted more like adult type of diabetes (Type 2 Diabetes) but was found in young people. MODY limits the body's ability to produce insulin, but is different than the juvenile type of diabetes (Type 1 Diabetes).

Screenshot_20230504_210536.jpg

I've had over 120g of glucose and not even a slight change! Normally 20g of carbs would push me well out of a hypo.

This is just really really strange. Zero novorapid.
Can't wrap my head around it

Well tomorrow I'll stop the long acting insulin.

So am I producing insulin now? Or have I become hyper sensitive to the small amount of long acting I have on board?

Hopefully the diabetic nurses from the hospital will call me tomorrow. Left a message for them.

My mind is still fully blown....zero novorapid all week. 120g of glucose and my bloods are still at 4.0. Even tested with a finger prick just to be sure.

I don't know weither to be happy and excited or depressed or baffled.

Well tomorrow I'll stop the long acting insulin.

So am I producing insulin now? Or have I become hyper sensitive to the small amount of long acting I have on board?

Although this seems miraculously good, I’d be worried about an additional medical problem causing the low sugars. For example, Addisons and coeliac disease can cause hypos, amongst a number of other things.

In your position, I’d be phoning my consultant and/or GP for some medical advice. If nothing else, they’ll help you find some explanation. In the meantime, get plenty of hypo treatments in and watch your sugars very closely.

Yes got jelly babies on a bulk order, that's the one thing that's most concerning right now. And the sudden change with no real rhyme or reason.

Sunday: treat hypo of 3.5 with 12 jelly babies, bloods go to 13

Mon onwards: 50+ jelly babes, zero movement from 4.0

Over 180g of low GI carbs with my normal meals each day and again zero movement in blood sugar and ZERO novorapid.

At a total loss.

My body's insane ability to metabolise glucose, so no matter what I'm eating I can't get out of a hypo situation unless it's more than 150g of sugar.

The whole thing is just completely left field out of the blue etc etc.

Thanks again all who've commented. Don't feel so alone. Hopefully speak to diabetic team tomorrow

Hope you’re ok now @kendod66 At least you have an explanation for the weirdness. Don’t be embarrassed. Everyone makes mistakes: to err is human, after all.

I had a few dodgy sensors (mine read high) and I basically went back to finger-pricking alongside the scans. If anything weird happens again, I advise finger-pricking multiple times through the day.

Look after yourself and take it easy.

Well, highly embarrassing. My sensor was wrong, wrong/broken for 5 days. And the check I made with a finger prick was like confirming a broken clock being right twice day.
So I ended up with sugar levels of 33 and an IV drip.
Thanks again for the replies and advice.
Oh dear, sorry to hear that but I was about to ask if you’d fingerpricked. The first rule of libre or any cgm is fingerprick before treating a hypo.

Oh no! Sorry to hear this @kendod66

Hope you bounce back quickly after your excursion into the 30s o_O

Check, check and check again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back