What more do I need to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saronie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
A typical day (yesterday) my bloods are
Before breakfast 4.1 2 hours after 8.7, before lunch 4.1 2 hours after9.2, before dinner 5.5 2 hours after 6.4 bed time 4.7
My doctor says I am not in control of my diabetes, I try to eat sensibly, no alcohol no coke type drinks I do not smoke, I drink green tea and sparkling water, and apple cider vinegar 2 table spoon full in glass of water, I am 78 years old, I have never had a hypo or hyper. I have been type 2 for about 10 years.

What is your hba1c? How often do you test before and after meals?

What are you eating for lunch @saronie ? Perhaps a few simple food changes could help get your 2hr result down.

What do you have for breakfast? A rise from 4.1 to 8.7 looks like it might be a bit too carb heavy for your body to cope efficiently, but good to see it is back down my lunch time. Similarly at lunchtime, your levels are rising a bit higher than you might like after your midday meal, so perhaps look at adjusting that a little. If you are having a sandwich for instance with 2 slices of bread, cut it to one or use low carb bread and have more protein like meat or fish or eggs and plenty of salad or veg to fill your plate up. I often just have a chunk of really nice cheese with half an apple for lunch. Or I might miss breakfast and have a large 2-3 egg omelette for brunch with onions and mushrooms and whatever veg needs using up and cheese and a big side salad with a good dollop of cheese coleslaw and that will keep me going all day without needing anything else or maybe just a few nuts in the evening or some olives.

I think you need to ask what your GP means by uncontrolled because from the readings you have given us it looks like you are quite well controlled but perhaps a little more tweaking of your diet could make it a bit better still. You need to ask for your HbA1c result in numbers not a rough verbal description of uncontrolled or bad or above your previous one or whatever. Knowing the numbers is important and you are entitled to know them so don't let your doctor or nurse put you off or say they can't tell you.

I like to keep m levels under 7 at the 2 hours after starting to eat point - even then I am only at the top end of normal for HbA1cs.
You might be overdoing the carbs.

Some of our livers must put in some glucose when we start eating as i cannot keep as low either. Just my take.
You might think a piece if cheese and an apple ti go from 6 am to 6 pm is enough to keep you from bring hungry.
That's not enough for me .
No bfast is a moody me and if i do not eat breakfast my levels go up and up and do not come down. . i eat and they go down.
Unless your on insulin as a type 2 you have very little control.

It's so difficult, when we are given medical advise without explanation. Your left guessing and blame ourselves for doing something wrong. It would help if your GP or diabetic nurse told what they mean by not stable. It might be worth changing you midday meal and see if it changes your numbers.

That’s really not helpful is it, when they tell you you aren’t doing well but don’t tell you how you can improve things. It looks like you are perhaps eating more carbohydrate than your body can cope with, so try to reduce the amount you eat of that. Not just obviously sugary foods, but bread, pasta, rice, cereal, potatoes and even fruit all contain carbohydrate. Try to reduce the amount of these that you have and replace them with more meat, green veg, cheese, eggs which should have little to no effect on your blood sugar. Berries have less carb than other fruits, try to avoid bananas, pineapple and grapes.

Next time you are due to see your doctor, write down everything you have eaten in the last few days (be honest!), and if he still says you aren’t doing something right then show him and ask him exactly what you should do to improve. If he’s any good at his job he should be able to offer some positive help instead of just criticising.

Before breakfast 4.1 2 hours after 8.7, before lunch 4.1 2 hours after9.2, before dinner 5.5 2 hours after 6.4 bed time 4.7
My doctor says I am not in control of my diabetes, I try to eat sensibly, no alcohol no coke type drinks I do not smoke, I drink green tea and sparkling water, and apple cider vinegar 2 table spoon full in glass of water, I am 78 years old, I have never had a hypo or hyper. I have been type 2 for about 10 years.
It seems to me that your scores are quite good if I’m reading right. Mine can be 6. + before breakfast. I fail to see that your 4’s are not in control, they’re better than mine! I’m told I control mine quite well!

take a look at this

I eat low carbohydrat, full fat yogurt if I can get it, meat. But I do eat some bread, not lots. you do need some carbs. I consulted a Consultant Endocrinologist, she looked at my scores and said I was doing well and that ‘you have to live’ she said. I must admit, I do get depressed about it and especially when family do not understand what it’s like t o have arrhythmia and T2!

Don’t forget that lack of hydration will affect your numbers and stress. I keep reminding myself.

Sorry to hear you’ve been given what might have felt like a bit of a ‘telling off’ from your Dr, but without much help or support to improve things :(

The general recommendations for levels after meals are 4-7 before meals and below 8.5 at 2hrs after eating, so most of your readings seem pretty good by that benchmark.

Where you are seeing more than 2-3mmol/L rise after meals, perhaps consider reducing the portion of starchy carbohydrates in that meal by 20-25%, and then recheck it another couple of times until you only get a rise of 2-3mmol/L from your meals.

Let is know how you get on, and if you’d like any suggestions for lower carb swaps and tweaks that can be made to various meals.

Don’t forget that lack of hydration will affect your numbers and stress. I keep reminding myself.
I keep my self well hydrated I understand this is required if you take forxiga just means I have to get up a lot at night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back