What It's Like When You're An American Using Britain's NHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've spent half my life in the US and half of it in the UK, so I'm used to both countries' healthcare systems. I recently returned to London after 20 years in America, and after a few doctors' appointments I've come to see the NHS through American eyes.

The National Health Service is, as all Americans know and fear, a completely public "socialized medicine" system. It's dramatically different from the US's patchwork system of private providers and insurance companies.

My story isn't representative, of course. Healthcare delivery is different in the UK depending on where you live and which doctors and hospitals you use — just as it is in the US. But I've now used both systems for about two decades each, so I feel I have a pretty good handle on the main contrasts.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/an-american-uses-britain-nhs-2015-1?r=US

Very interesting comparisons 🙂

On the whole I am very happy with the Nhs. Yes it has some big problems, but my experience of it has been mostly positive.

However, this article merely shows that US healthcare is pretty shabby (especially for the poorest).

But it was interesting to see that comparison.

Very interesting and well thought out article.

On the whole, NHS is a very efficient "greatest good for the greatest number" scheme, that needs support from patients eg not attending for conditions they could deal with themselves, perhaps with help from a pharmacist and buying something there, and not complaining if kept waiting a few minutes. If the waiting room reading matter isn't to your take, then take something you find interesting.

Ah well they've solved the problem of reading matter at our surgery - there isn't any, full stop.

I really enjoyed reading that, it puts it all into perspective doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back