what is the ideal HbA1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

am64

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
my doc said 6.4 was perfect for me ...so what is the thing about the 5% club ?? should i really be aiming for it as well ? x

Hi hun i was told 6.5 but have not managed to get there just yet , i did post something a while ago about this, it is one of the things i get quite anoyed about we strive so hard to get the magic number but why if we are happy with getting it down so should the GP be we have enough greif and stress on us as diabetics, as long as theres a reduction in hbA im happy no matter what.

P.s If the 5% club is still going in 40 years i may join them lol

Soz Am i didnt realise or havent been told what the magic number is maybe its different for everyone??? I wouldve thought the lower the better for types 2's???? 🙂

im not sure if there is a perfect one ...i believe its down to the individual ...just wondered 🙂

im not sure if there is a perfect one ...i believe its down to the individual ...just wondered 🙂
Yeah maybe Am 🙂

I don't think there is a fixed 'perfect' figure - I believe non-diabetics vary too, although they probably don't get tested as much as us! Ideally, you want to be below the level at which diabetic complications become more likely, which is 6.5%. Thus, 6.4% means that you are less likely to get complications, but it also means that you have the greatest flexibility in terms of diet and lifestyle - trying to get it lower and lower might mean restrictions that affect your quality of life negatively.

At one time, it was accepted that diabetics would live shorter lifespans and succumb to one or more complications, so they were allowed to run levels above what is recommended these days so that (at least) they could enjoy the years available to them. We know now that we can live full and healthy lives so long as we respect and manage our diabetes. 🙂

Thanks northe ...i think my gp is pleased i have maintained it all for a year...i seem to have done it whilst maintaining a life style that suits my family eating habits...withourt being over the top ..but in the future that will probably change and probably so will I and reduce even more .... interesting stuff x🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back