What is safe High level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I don't understand, and sick of Googling the subject but what is considered "safe" high level BG and what is "dangerous" BG level, and over what period of time?.
If my bloods are between 4-7 and for any reason next read is 9 is it paid time?. All I seem to search comes with "high BG levels over a prolonged period are dangerous"! But what is "prolonged period" 7+ for a few hours, days, weeks is not clear. If I have a spike, although only ever 8.9 once I panic but is this over worrying things? I obviously get it down ASPAP, but is it a neccesary concern to get out and exercise to get it down immediately?.

I don't understand, and sick of Googling the subject but what is considered "safe" high level BG and what is "dangerous" BG level, and over what period of time?.
If my bloods are between 4-7 and for any reason next read is 9 is it paid time?. All I seem to search comes with "high BG levels over a prolonged period are dangerous"! But what is "prolonged period" 7+ for a few hours, days, weeks is not clear. If I have a spike, although only ever 8.9 once I panic but is this over worrying things? I obviously get it down ASPAP, but is it a neccesary concern to get out and exercise to get it down immediately?.
Blood glucose will go up and down throughout the day and night in response to many things. food, drink, exercise, being unwell, stress and lots of other things so managing to keep within a certain range is taking steps to try to keep within the suggested range for the majority of the time will result in normal HbA1C.
High levels above 10mmol/l for any length of time is not good as that is the point where the kidneys have to work extra hard to remove excess glucose from your system. We are probably talking several days to weeks rather than hours or the odd day.
But using the criteria of no more than 8-8.5mmol/l 2 hours after eating and 4-7 before meals for most of the time will generally give you good overall management.
Of more concern would be if those high levels cause you to feel unwell.

Thanks for that, it is very helpful I am controlling it and not feeling unwell. The tests Waking, before eating then 2 hrs after, then Bedtime is just getting impractical 8 times everyday and working. I've monitored for 12 days now with only ever the 1 x 8.9 read the rest all between 4-7. AM, midday, and PM and obviously if I felt a bit strange for me anyway would be far more manageable

Thanks for that, it is very helpful I am controlling it and not feeling unwell. The tests Waking, before eating then 2 hrs after, then Bedtime is just getting impractical 8 times everyday and working. I've monitored for 12 days now with only ever the 1 x 8.9 read the rest all between 4-7. AM, midday, and PM and obviously if I felt a bit strange for me anyway would be far more manageable
Many people who are dietary managed do lots of testing at first but once they establish what meals are 'safe' then they do not bother with testing those again and only would then be testing a new meal or when they feel unwell or first thing in the morning to keep a track day to day, week to week etc looking for downward trend. Don't worry too much about individual readings.
I probably tested for a few weeks then was able to judge what was ok and what was best to avoid, like some pasta followed by pancakes, not a good plan. I now don't have normal pasta but do have pancakes on Shrove Tuesday but only after a low carb main meal.

If my bloods are between 4-7 and for any reason next read is 9 is it paid time?. All I seem to search comes with "high BG levels over a prolonged period are dangerous"! But what is "prolonged period" 7+ for a few hours, days, weeks is not clear. If I have a spike, although only ever 8.9 once I panic but is this over worrying things? I obviously get it down ASPAP, but is it a necessary concern to get out and exercise to get it down immediately?.
You'll sometimes come across the expression '4 is the floor, 10 is the ceiling'. When I was diagnosed my DN gave me a test kit and told me that I needed to get my BG down to, and at the very least stay in, single figures. It was 20.5 at the time.

I'm looking for trends when I log my finger prick readings to see whether they're on an upward trend that would mean I'm not on top of things, rather than fretting about the odd above-average result.

I've been told the same.
Keep it below 10 (Post meal) and above 4.

8.9 is fine. Ideally you’d stay under 10, but if you have brief excursions up to 12 or so, that’s ok. Obviously it depends on the individual and the circumstances, but dangerous blood sugar would be something like in the 20s.

I found it useful to look at Libre graphs for people without diabetes to understand what is "normal".
Google found a few examples online of these. What I noticed was that, whilst the recommendation is to aim for between 4 and 7, it is not uncommon for people without diabetes to spike to about 9. However, these are what I would call "spiky spikes" - the graphs go up and come down within 30 minutes or so. They are not what I think of as the "plateau spikes" where to graphs go up and stay there for a few hours".
I set my goals based on these "normal" people - to aim to stay in single figures and if I go into double figures, bring my BG down quickly.
I set these goals for myself before I read about the recommended targets for people with Type 1 (I appreciate, @Ranger that you have type 2 but the effects of high BG are the same for all). These are to be between 4 and 10 for 70% of the time.

The other thing I would add is the importance to look after the whole of your body rather than just the diabetic bits. If maintaining your diabetes targets are making you anxious and taking over your life, it is likely to be time to relax your targets a little. There is no point having perfect BG all the time and no time to enjoy it.
I think of it like people who work every waking hour doing a job they hate in order to earn ridiculous amounts of money they have no time to spend.

I found it useful to look at Libre graphs for people without diabetes to understand what is "normal".
Google found a few examples online of these. What I noticed was that, whilst the recommendation is to aim for between 4 and 7, it is not uncommon for people without diabetes to spike to about 9. However, these are what I would call "spiky spikes" - the graphs go up and come down within 30 minutes or so. They are not what I think of as the "plateau spikes" where to graphs go up and stay there for a few hours".
I set my goals based on these "normal" people - to aim to stay in single figures and if I go into double figures, bring my BG down quickly.
I set these goals for myself before I read about the recommended targets for people with Type 1 (I appreciate, @Ranger that you have type 2 but the effects of high BG are the same for all). These are to be between 4 and 10 for 70% of the time.

The other thing I would add is the importance to look after the whole of your body rather than just the diabetic bits. If maintaining your diabetes targets are making you anxious and taking over your life, it is likely to be time to relax your targets a little. There is no point having perfect BG all the time and no time to enjoy it.
I think of it like people who work every waking hour doing a job they hate in order to earn ridiculous amounts of money they have no time to spend.
All very valid points, I am with you 100% on all of that. I'm just hoping I can maintain what I'm doing but have the odd take out and a few beers at some stage and not worry as they totally spoils the experience of enjoying yourself.

All very valid points, I am with you 100% on all of that. I'm just hoping I can maintain what I'm doing but have the odd take out and a few beers at some stage and not worry as they totally spoils the experience of enjoying yourself.
Also, your diet has to be sustainable and most of us must fancy the odd beer or take out! Just don't do it regularly, and don't beat yourself up when you do :D If I'm eating out, I try to balance it with fewer carbs early on in the day to make up for the evening feast. That way when the little devil is on my shoulder I can tell it to push off because I know what I'm doing!

Also, your diet has to be sustainable and most of us must fancy the odd beer or take out! Just don't do it regularly, and don't beat yourself up when you do :D If I'm eating out, I try to balance it with fewer carbs early on in the day to make up for the evening feast. That way when the little devil is on my shoulder I can tell it to push off because I know what I'm doing!
Sounds like a plan!

I think that’s quite common @Ranger - to have an early intensive period of checking, while building up an understanding of how the body deals with different portion-sizes and sources of carbohydrates, and then drop back to more of a maintenance level, where you can check new meals more carefully, and otherwise just keep an eye on things generally.

For levels, you might find this study of non-D results from continuous glucose sensors reassuring in terms of the results you have been seeing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back