What Is Really Causing the A&E Crisis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Last week's A&E performance in England was widely reported in the media as heralding the start of a winter crisis. In the first week of December only 87.7% of people attending a major A&E were treated and discharged or admitted within four hours. This is a big drop in performance compared with previous years.

A&E has been described as a barometer of the whole emergency care system. When things are going wrong they show up first in reductions in A&E performance. Why is this happening? Most reports suggest the crisis is due to unprecedented numbers attending A&E. BBC health correspondent Nick Triggle said "The simple answer is that more people are visiting A&E" and Richard Murray of the Kings Fund said "the number of people showing up at A&E is continually bouncing at the highest level the NHS has ever seen."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-louise-irvine/nhs-accident-emergency_b_6324026.html

Last time I was at A&E there was 5 people behind the screens sorting the paperwork out 😱 Its a very small hosp but someone had to make the tea 🙄

Here it's people taking their kids and themselves to A&E because they can't get to a GP, there's a real shortage. I couldn't get a GP for five years and had to register in Manchester at a drop in centre, I only got one in January because I was the highest priority and even then I had to be "forced in". My Mum has to travel 5 miles to another town to her GP which is OK now but she's nearly 70 and I don't drive so that could be fun if she loses mobility. My Goddaughter has a GP ten miles away but her son is high priority so he gets to go to the GP round the corner. Chaos.

Don't get me started! Having worked 'behind the counter' in ae for over 20 years in a very busy hospital believe me it's a nightmare for everyone Not just patients but staff too Too many patients, inappropriate attendances not enough staff I could go on but we all know it's getting worse. Not enough beds means too early discharge and consequent re attendance Glad I'm not doing that job anymore. Now I race around finding the records! Love it as good for bg! 🙂

Don't get me started! Having worked 'behind the counter' in ae for over 20 years in a very busy hospital believe me it's a nightmare for everyone Not just patients but staff too Too many patients, inappropriate attendances not enough staff I could go on but we all know it's getting worse. Not enough beds means too early discharge and consequent re attendance Glad I'm not doing that job anymore. Now I race around finding the records! Love it as good for bg! 🙂

I don't know how they do it, patience of a saint I say. The last time I was there with my Godson (who had a really bad cut on his leg that needed cleaning and stitching) this bloke insisted they see his son first who had a cough. They were very good with him, and I get it that he was worried and the tot wasn't very old, but really a bit of Vicks vaporub and he'd have been fine. When the bloke came in with a scrape on his knee I nearly lost the will to live. Seriously mate clean it with antiseptic and bung a plaster on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back