what is normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proudspirit

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
A friend of mine had loast loads of weight, been for blood tests today but when he was tested a while ago the result was 2.2 after lucozade.

He isn't showing any signs of hypo but gets very tired and wants to sleep all the time..

is there like a reverse of high bp?

Thanks in advance

Julie x

oops sorry i meant low BG not BP, they tested his cholesterol it was 5 and they said that was low. i know nothing about this so couldn't comment.

What the question was is: can you have the op of diabetes or low bg's 2.2 seems low but is that ok in a normal person...

And don't say that you are normal people... i know different 🙂

Julie x

usually the reason low blood sugar is dangerous in people with diabetes is because it is caused by medications or injected insulin, so the blood sugar can keep falling and causes seizures in extreme circumstances.

In people without diabetes once the blood sugar drops insulin production is turned off and blood sugar rises again to normal, it is kept within narrow limits and returns naturally to those levels. So it is not usually dangerous or that abnormal for people without diabetes to at times register low blood sugar.

Low blood sugar is technically defined by a lab glucose of below 2.2, but we don't have access to lab testing and for safetys sake we deem finger prick glucoses of below 4 to be hypo (DAFNE 3.5) and require treating.

It may be that your friend would benefit from seeing a dietician to help find an eating pattern that would prevent the low blood sugars.

Just for info 2.2 in a non diabetic person is not normal and not good at all. You get be hypoglycaemic without being a diabetic but there will no doubt be reasons.

Jessica's real condition is constant insulin being produced and therefore constant hypos ie she was 0.3 at 20 hours of birth.

non diabetics are ok at 3.5 but anything below is not brilliant. A 3.0 once in a while can be tolerated but not all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back