What is Diabetic Dermopathy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’ve been a type 1 diabetic now for the past 8 years and I’ve heard of most of the associated complications associated with the disease, but I came across an article the other day talking about Dermopathy in diabetics. Never hearing of it, it automatically piqued my interest so I started to research what it was all about. Diabetic dermopathy, a harmless condition, is likely the most common skin problem in people who have had diabetes for a while, or whose blood sugar levels have remained high.

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/2015/02/what-is-diabetic-dermopathy/

Oh that's what that patch on my shin is! it's been there ever since diagnosis, when I think I had an ingrowing hair there, and my sugars were very high then, pre diagnosis. it's been there ever since, doesn't ever do anything, has faded slightly over the last seven years. You learn something new every day on this forum!

H has/ well did have a strange dark patch on the back of one leg - which we showed to several consultants - none of which knew what it was!- not sure if its still there will ask him on my next visit

Last edited:
When I was in the dermatology department of our main teaching hospital having a dodgy mole taken off my wrist, they gave my whole body a thorough inspection, and didn't mention it at all. They took a photo of one of the more unusual sorts of benign mole I had on my back, to show their students, but didn't pass comment on the mark on my shin. if I'd known about it then, I'd have asked just to see if they'd heard of it.
mind you, the surgeon who took the mole off looked thoroughly disconcerted when I commented that there wasn't anywhere on the consent form to put that I was diabetic, and didn't she want to know in case I went hypo once she'd numbed up my right hand? I reassured her it was unlikely to happen, and said she'd just have to get someone to pass me the fruit pastilles out of my bag!

Is it not the same as Necrobiosis lipoidica ?

from what I can glean off the net, they appear to be two distinct conditions. Dermopathy seems to develop in areas where there has been injury, doesn't spread, and doesn't need treatment. necrobiosis lipoidica seems to form spontaneously where there is underlying nerve damage, can spread or ulcerate, and is treated with steroids. I hadn't heard of either of them!

H's definitely looked like the first condition not the second

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back