What is considered a spike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebstar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
What is considered a high bs reading after eating. If you have a reading of, say 10 one hour after eating is that ok as long as you are down to below 8.5 at 2 hours. I have never understood spikes.:confused:

Hmmm i would say the term 'spike' is any reading you get thats out of your target range of 4-7 mmols i think the guide lines are something like this:

4-7mmols pre meal and then aiming to be below 10mmols 2 hours after?

Someone correct me if i am wrong though :confused:

We consider a spike to be anything over about 4mmols above the pre-meal level. So if Alex is 6mmols pre-meal and then goes up to 10 at the 2 hour mark then we call it a spike and give a small correction as there is still active insulin from the food bolus so we do it conservatively.

Ideally you shouldnt go up more than 2mmols from your pre-meal level at the 2 hour mark - but this is quite hard to get spot on as there are so many variables that can alter things like fatty foods or the ratio being out etc.. It also depends how tight you want your control - some people dont test at the 2 hour mark and so are likely to be back down to an acceptable level at the 4 hour mark.🙂Bev

A 2 mmol/l increase would be virtually impossible to achieve, in my opinion, except on a very low/no carb meal. My minimum increase is probably 4 mmol/l. I think of a spike as being double figures - a 12+ would have me reaching for the insulin!

We consider a spike to be anything over about 4mmols above the pre-meal level. So if Alex is 6mmols pre-meal and then goes up to 10 at the 2 hour mark then we call it a spike and give a small correction as there is still active insulin from the food bolus so we do it conservatively.

Ideally you shouldnt go up more than 2mmols from your pre-meal level at the 2 hour mark - but this is quite hard to get spot on as there are so many variables that can alter things like fatty foods or the ratio being out etc.. It also depends how tight you want your control - some people dont test at the 2 hour mark and so are likely to be back down to an acceptable level at the 4 hour mark.🙂Bev

Agree with bev. It's difficult for children i think as well. This was proved with Rose on MDI. Prebreakfast she would be between 4-7, 2 hours later up in the mid 20s 😱 and then 4 hours back to 4-7. She would need a snack at the 2 hour mark not bolused for (which i hated) as she would then hypo at the 4 hour mark 😡 Loved the remark from her old team after i asked what to do about the mid 20s as i was concerned. Answer: Don't test, then you won't know 😱

The 'ostrich' method of diabetes management presumably, Becca! 😱

LOL! Most definitely! Think they thought by not testing it wouldn't be there 🙄

I can go from 6 before lunch to high teens about 2 hours later and back to below 7 before dinner. I personally consider anything below teens 2 hours later to not be a spike. I know this is far from ideal, but until I finally get my pump I just have to live with it.

my milligan would be considered over 9.9 or maybe a rise of 4 or more milli moles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back