What is a non diabetics normal bg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasha1

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi ALL..

Sorry to ask this again..I know there was a conversation about it recently but cant find it.....What is a non-diabetics normal BG...I always understood it to be between 4 and 7.5

Now I must admit I'm usually on the low end of the scale..But yesterday morning..Nathan out of interest..wanted to test my BG.....Now it was 9.30am I had'nt eaten anything for well over 14hrs ish...but had had a large glass of pepsi..non diet...about 20 mins before...I was reading 3.2.....Is this normal'ish

Heidi
xx🙂

Hi Heidi, yes - I'd say that was normal-ish. Non-diabetics can tolerate lower levels than us partly I think because injecting insulin is so incredibly crude in comparison to a wonderful fully-functioning pancreas. I read today that C-peptides, which are a by-product of insulin also help non-diabetics, but if you're type one you don't produce them and we'd have to inject them. Plus, there is a slight inaccuracy in meters - about 10%.

Hi Heidi, yes - I'd say that was normal-ish. Non-diabetics can tolerate lower levels than us partly I think because injecting insulin is so incredibly crude in comparison to a wonderful fully-functioning pancreas. I read today that C-peptides, which are a by-product of insulin also help non-diabetics, but if you're type one you don't produce them and we'd have to inject them. Plus, there is a slight inaccuracy in meters - about 10%.

Hi Northerner...

Yes I thought it was normalish...thinkk it just made me think about how far a non-diabetics BG could drop to..without causing any problem...

I have been looking into C-petides...There has been some very interesting studies done in this field..although as ever more research needs to be done...From what I have read the positives as regards to diabetes look promising..and it could be possible to in the future be used along side insulin

Heidi
xx🙂

Ive tested my non diabetic friends before and had readings anything from low 3's to 9's , its different for diabetics with low readings as we can still keep dropping , non diabetics wont as i read somewhere ( was it northerner ?) that insulin gets "switched off " as it is not needed at that time .

hi all i pricked o/h's finger well he asked me to and it wad 5.6

Ive tested my non diabetic friends before and had readings anything from low 3's to 9's , its different for diabetics with low readings as we can still keep dropping , non diabetics wont as i read somewhere ( was it northerner ?) that insulin gets "switched off " as it is not needed at that time .

Liver can dump as well to maintain balance.

Sasha - meters are not terribly accurate and can be half a point out in either direction under normal circumstances anyway. Hand creams, alcohol etc can dilute a reading, along with finger milking. So a one-off 3.2 could be misleading anyway. I know you're used to testing, but probaby not on yourself?

And under those circumstances, even a high GI drink like full fat coke wouldn't have had time to hit the BG significantly. So the long period with no food probably led your BG to fall very slowly. Its not really that odd under the circumstances, so don't worry about it.

Liver can dump as well to maintain balance.

Sasha - meters are not terribly accurate and can be half a point out in either direction under normal circumstances anyway. Hand creams, alcohol etc can dilute a reading, along with finger milking. So a one-off 3.2 could be misleading anyway. I know you're used to testing, but probaby not on yourself?

And under those circumstances, even a high GI drink like full fat coke wouldn't have had time to hit the BG significantly. So the long period with no food probably led your BG to fall very slowly. Its not really that odd under the circumstances, so don't worry about it.

you are full of information , I think ive learned more from your posts than Ive ever found out from any doctor or dsn !! please keep posting , I love all your posts even the ones that dont really apply to me :D

That would seem ok to me, especially if you felt allright. I have tested my partner and got sub 4 readings before, even a 2.7 a couple of weeks ago.

Just reading blood sugar 101 as it's just arrived today and says normal blood sugar is up to 6.9 when people without diabetes were put on CGMS.

you are full of information , I think ive learned more from your posts than Ive ever found out from any doctor or dsn !! please keep posting , I love all your posts even the ones that dont really apply to me :D

LOL. You timed that well. I am about to do a vanishing act again. I drop in here every few months, post for a week or two when I have some spare time on my hands then disappear again.

I don't really have time for 2 DM forums, a DM website, a DM chatroom, a DM group in second life etc etc etc. Its all been piling up again so I'll be off. Sorry!

But I just pick stuff up off other diabetics mostly so I can't take any credit. Its all out there somewhere so good luck googling 🙂
(google scholar is excellent when looking for research studies btw)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back