what I wish I'd known when first diagnosed as type 1 (just over two months ago)

MollyBolt

Pronouns
She/Her
I am now 2 and a half months into my diagnosis of type 1 after a nasty ketoacidosis experience. There’s a bunch of stuff I wish I’d known then - stuff that I expect people were telling me and I didn’t quite hear - that I thought I might write down a few random thoughts in case useful for others. I’m conscious that some of what I say may seem nonsense to those who are months ahead of me and so please read it in the spirit in which it is meant. Also pls do correct me if you think I've got stuff wrong - I know I am still a novice in managing diabetes.

1. You’ll be inundated with people who know someone [usually friend of a friend, relative of a friend] with type 1 and who say it’s totally fine, not a big deal. To start with you’ll hope this is true. Then you may worry that you are inadequate because that’s not how you are finding it. Then you’ll find yourself telling people that “it’s totally fine, not a big deal” whilst knowing that this isn’t true (right now anyway) but it’s easier to say that than to actually unpack how you feel. And you’ll then realise this is how the stories of the friends of friends etc got made. (And maybe one day you’ll be telling people it’s fine and not a big deal because that’s how it feels – and I v much hope that this turns out to be the case. But don’t expect it for a while.)

2. You’ll also come across a bunch people who don’t know very much but who want to give you somewhat random advice, usually vaguely relevant to type 2 (and sometimes just wrong…sometimes also right!). Your irritation with these will grow. One day you’ll likely learn to smile and move the conversation on. (The managing to smile and move the conversation on hasn’t yet happened for me but I live in hopes of becoming a better person.)

3. Using a finger prick test will feel impossible the first few times you do it. And giving yourself an injection may feel terrifying (I kept doing it with my eyes shut because it felt so traumatic for the first day or so). Within days you’ll likely find it’s so easy you can do it without a blink and wonder why you were so incompetent. You weren’t incompetent. It was just new and you were a bit scared.

4. You may find yourself thinking idly about how much you are looking forward to diabetes “being over”. This won’t be a well-formed thought but is just habit from being used to illnesses having a finish date. Every time it dawns on you that it’s never going to be “over” will be hard. Expect to be unhappy / grumpy / depressed. It’s a crappy thing and so of course you should feel that.

5. At the beginning you might think: “on the plus side, I always liked jelly babies”. This enthusiasm will pass quite quickly as hypos become a regular ish part of your life. There are other options and a bit of variety is a bit helpful but still… Watch out that M&S jelly babies have less sugar in and so you’ll need to eat more. Carry far more of everything than you think you might need (I once went on a hike with just four jelly babies as I thought that was the “dose” and it was very challenging when that was used up v quickly). And of course if you choose all the “nice” jelly babies when you open the packet you’ll find the hypos for the second half of the packet are even less pleasant (so resist the urge to pick the yellow ones out first).

6. Check your blood glucose numbers before bed. If you are below 8, you might want to have something to eat. Toast or digestives are what I’m currently settling on. You won’t see any immediate impact but that’s how it is supposed to be (I know this sounds obvious but I remember when it wasn’t). If it is below 5, I’ll nudge it up with some jelly babies too. You may find yourself over-dosing pre-bed and then soaring during the night and it’s easy to feel bad about this. Try not to.

7. Exercise is a peculiar one and is seemingly different for everyone. A spin class in the morning before breakfast does wonders to keep me at a nice level all day but then means that on days when my routine is out, then I struggle to stay at an even keel. Normal walking is disconcertingly hard (because it always makes me drop), and some longer-acting carbs beforehand (without injecting) have worked well for me – when I remember, though perhaps unsurprisingly I often still don’t. On the plus side, this is a great way to bring down your BG if you are too high and don’t want to go for a correction dose of insulin. Gentle yoga is the worst for making me drop my BG numbers fast. I’m still musing on how to manage this.

8. Alcohol is complicated and I’m glad I cut it out completely for the first month. Lots of people (some of those mentioned in 2 above) will tell you it’s fine and all balances out. That may be the case for some people, but it hasn’t been for me. The three keys to success have been (1) limited quantity (2) with food (even if only an oat bar or some such) (3) only wine or a spirit and (4) not immediately before bed.

9. Sometime or other you’ll be given a “real” coke when you asked for a diet one, and you’ll drink it without realising and then have a melt down when you see your BG soaring. I am not sure I have anything consoling to say about this other than you should expect this to happen (it’s happened to me three times already even though I could not be clearer when I order about the importance of it being diet) and it’s not the end of the world – try and work out how much you had and then inject.

10. You may find yourself susceptible to more infections that you’d normally get and that when you have them they’ll be harder to fight off than they’d usually be. I’ve had three chest infections and an eye infection since being diagnosed and they’ve all been quite bad. Several doctors have told me that this is something to just expect, but it’s weird because I can’t really find any confirmation of this online. I plan to get private Covid and flu vaccines…

11. When I was first diagnosed I was trying to find some positives, and mused that this was likely the moment for me to become healthier including thinner. I then found a bunch of stuff online which suggested this wasn’t the case and it felt like my last silver lining was being taken away. The reality is – as one of you said – that it’s just more of a phaff to eat than it was, and though I end up eating more food for hypos than I would like (and in not an enjoyable fashion), I am pretty confident that I’ll end 2024 a much better weight for me than I’ve been most of my life. Also on the plus side, having counted calories / been on WeightWatchers for a significant amount of time turns out to have been perfect training for carb counting. I find – even in what are comparatively early days – that I find it pretty easy to accurately guess the carb content of something (obviously I’ve tempted fate by saying this).

12. And finally, the mental health toll is not to be under-estimated and some support is a good idea.

Your post is so useful @MollyBolt , especially for those first diagnosed.

You have hit the nail on the head again an and again. I still remember the ‘helpful’ people with tales of their friends and aunts and uncles and …. Yes I have learnt to smile, and other time I will give my standard answer about the differences between T1 and others. I know that I knew absolutely nothing before my diagnosis apart from that ‘there are two types’. How wrong I was and how much I had to learn quickly.

There was a list of ten things not to say to someone with Type 1.
I was chatting to someone in a bar, and I started to laugh when he quickly clocked up 8 out of ten. He asked what was so amusing, and I explained. I saw him the following day and he had looked at the list, and reckoned he might have managed to get 10/10 if we had carried on chatting. He also had a chronic condition and found another version of ten things not to say for his condition.

I know that we try to reassure people that come on here that it will get easier (because it really does - even though we all have times when it doesn’t feel like that however long we have had T1) but I hope that we recognise just how hard it is at the start.

Thank you again for your excellent post. I am sure that it will be very helpful to people.

@MollyBolt If you were given the real Coke in a commercial establishment (pub, cafe, restaurant, etc) then please do report it. There have been cases before when action was taken. It’s simply not acceptable.

P.S - you’re wrong about the Jelly Babies. The yellow ones are not the nicest!

Hello there @MollyBolt. You've found out an awful lot about Type one diabetes in such a short time...on the subject of the M&S jelly babies I don't think you need to eat more and it's good that they have less sugar than other jelly babies and secondly I agree with Inka on the subject of the real coke.You must report this if it happened in a commercial establishment.This has happened to me as well and I reported it.

Finally and more importantly...welcome to the forum.

@SB2015 - You are totally right, on reflection I knew nothing about really diabetes before June so really there's no reason why anyone should - and I should be a better person 🙂. I think this forum does a really great job of balancing the message "it'll be ok" and "it's hard". I genuinely don't know how I'd have got through this period without support from here.

@Inka if you hadn't been so consistently kind helpful to me in the past few weeks, I'd struggle to forgive the suggestion that the yellow jelly babies aren't the nicest! More seriously, what's your advice on reporting the coke? All three times have been in commercial places. Each time, I went to complain to the manager of the cafe / bar at the time, but they weren't really interested (and tbf to them I am sure that I came across as a bit weird for being so stressed about it). That said, one bar manager told me that his relation had T1 and that I was wrong to want to go for diet coke which was...annoying and odd.

@stephenS50 - interesting re M and S jelly babies. The sugar is lower, which I assumed was bad (it didn't turn around my BG numbers as fast as "normal" ones which made me a bit panicky).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, experiences, and frustrations @MollyBolt - they will resonate with newbies and long-termers alike!

Sometime or other you’ll be given a “real” coke when you asked for a diet one, and you’ll drink it without realising and then have a melt down when you see your BG soaring. I am not sure I have anything consoling to say about this other than you should expect this to happen (it’s happened to me three times already even though I could not be clearer when I order about the importance of it being diet) and it’s not the end of the world – try and work out how much you had and then inject.

I’ve known people use a BG meter to check soft drinks just to be sure. As I understand it diet will read LO, and sugary Coke will read HI.

I used to put a droplet between my fingers where the skin is soft and sensitive. As body heat dries the Coke, a sugary drink will leave a sticky residue, and a diet one won’t 🙂

I’d complain to the Food Standards Agency @MollyBolt I’d also complain to the local council who are involved in licensing them. They should have a food safety team. You could look here:

I’d also put a complaint in writing to the managers of each place in writing. The one who said Type 1s shouldn’t drink Diet Coke needs re-educating. TBF, it sounds like he was bull*****ing about his ‘relative’. Even if that relative existed, it’s not up to a random manager to give medical advice. He’s supposed to ensure that what’s ordered is what’s provided - full stop. If these are chain restaurants/pubs, also complain to Head Office.

This isn’t a trivial matter. They are acting in a way that could cause harm. It’s not just people with diabetes, some children are the opposite, ie they can’t have Diet Coke due to PKU (genetic condition) and it could cause them severe harm if they had it. This casual “oh, what does it matter’ approach is not on. Premises that sell food and drink have legal responsibilities. We’ve sadly seen that they need reminding of that in the recent tragic allergy-related deaths.

I don't think you need to eat more and it's good that they have less sugar than other jelly babies
If you are using your jelly babies as a recovery from a hypo it is important to know how grams of carbs your are eating, so if the M&S ones are lower in sugar you will need more to lift your glucose levels.

We each need to find what suits us and if JBs are your thing it is good to have the warning about lower sugar ones. I have got caught out when abroad if I run out of JBs and have had to use ‘local jelly babies’. They tend to give grams of carbs per 100g, so unless I have access to scales to weigh the alternative JBs it is guess work.

Excellent post @MollyBolt which is very informative for anyone newly diagnosed (I'm only a couple of years in, and still learning all the time) - careful with the Jelly Babies though as previously noted

Great post @MollyBolt
Had a bad day today with confusing bg readings and getting frustrated with the whole thing. I am nearly 2 years diagnosed and generally I am so much calmer and better at managing things than the first six months so be assured you will definitely get to an "easier" phase.
Reading your post today and coming to this forum generally helps remind me that it's perfectly normal to have those odd frustrating, annoying or just sad days.
Thank you x
I have always hated jb's even the yellow ones so stick to mentos mints (I have packets in so many places anyone would think they're addictive)

I’d complain to the Food Standards Agency @MollyBolt I’d also complain to the local council who are involved in licensing them. They should have a food safety team. You could look here:

I’d also put a complaint in writing to the managers of each place in writing. The one who said Type 1s shouldn’t drink Diet Coke needs re-educating. TBF, it sounds like he was bull*****ing about his ‘relative’. Even if that relative existed, it’s not up to a random manager to give medical advice. He’s supposed to ensure that what’s ordered is what’s provided - full stop. If these are chain restaurants/pubs, also complain to Head Office.

This isn’t a trivial matter. They are acting in a way that could cause harm. It’s not just people with diabetes, some children are the opposite, ie they can’t have Diet Coke due to PKU (genetic condition) and it could cause them severe harm if they had it. This casual “oh, what does it matter’ approach is not on. Premises that sell food and drink have legal responsibilities. We’ve sadly seen that they need reminding of that in the recent tragic allergy-related deaths.
It may be they gave you 'sugar free' or coke zero, they have a different artificial sugar than diet coke and are considered 'diet' so technically gave you what you ordered but I find for me anything that isn't the silver bottle/can will behave like normal coke so I am very specific that it must be the silver one. Oh, and never from the gun, as they have no idea which one it is.

I’ve known people use a BG meter to check soft drinks just to be sure. As I understand it diet will read LO, and sugary Coke will read HI.
Has anyone tried this, does it work? I'll have to give it a go and see.

I used to put a droplet between my fingers where the skin is soft and sensitive. As body heat dries the Coke, a sugary drink will leave a sticky residue, and a diet one won’t 🙂
Ah, that's an interesting approach.

I used to give it to one of my friends and ask them to check it for me - I could tell from the look on their faces whether it was diet or not (the grimace and question of how I could drink this stuff :D). I find it's sometimes quite hard to know what a Diet Coke will taste like when it comes from a pump made with syrup, and because I almost never drink full-fat Coke I have nothing to compare it against.

Just want to say that that is an incredibly comprehensive and insightful list! I am really impressed at just how much you have picked up on in an incredibly short space of time since diagnosis, which bodes really well for your future diabetes management. Gradually it all becomes easier and you get to a stage where you do a lot of the stuff on autopilot, so there is less mental strain but I don't think anyone can truly understand the amount of thought and effort and decision making we have to put into every aspect of life, unless they are insulin dependent themselves.

A great insight @MollyBolt .
As others have said, for most of us, things get easier over time and become more “automatic”.
The only thing I am less sure about is being more susceptible to infections. I believe this is the case if your BG is high but otherwise, the reason for covid and flu jabs is that illness can make diabetes harder to manage.
I have certainly not been any more ill than friends, family and colleagues over the last 20 years since my diagnosis.
I seem to be less likely to be unwell than others my age. But that maybe because I do not share my house with any children/germ magnets.

Excellent insightful post @MollyBolt

Things do become more automatic pilot over the years with a new learning curve each time new tech becomes available.

You may find yourself thinking idly about how much you are looking forward to diabetes “being over”. This won’t be a well-formed thought but is just habit from being used to illnesses having a finish date. Every time it dawns on you that it’s never going to be “over” will be hard. Expect to be unhappy / grumpy / depressed. It’s a crappy thing and so of course you should feel that.

The thing that still happens to me on a regular basis after nearly 46 years of T1 is a fleeting hope/thought that the bolus I'm about to give will not be needed and my non existant beta cells will somehow have regenerated and burst into life again.
I sometimes think I could be cured in a few minutes.....

I really didn't understand the forever nature of diabetes when I was diagnosed, I thought I'd get better and it would be a short lived illness. The Dr on the childrens ward gave me the optimistic "don't worry there will be a cure in 10 years" line trying to cheer me up but instead it suddenly dawned on me that T1 was here to stay and I would be taking it home with me.

Thanks to all for their positive responses.

@helli - I am also v unsure about the getting sick more often since there's nothing about this anywhere that I can find (but the clinicians did say it with vigour!). I shall hope that this is a short-term experience as a result of being sick for a while without knowing.

@Flower - I can completely imagine this - in my case (having been non-diabetic for 44 years!) I sort of think it's entirely reasonable for it to magically fix itself having magically broken so dramatically.

Am fascinated by the tips on diet coke testing - I've never been able to tell the difference from taste (my palate is clearly rubbish!). I am going to try some of these suggestions. Of course, water is better and safer, but tbh already feels quite dull...

I shall add in a new learning from today (which I really wish I'd known before):

13. The diabetic eye screening is really not fun. The drops they put in your eyes are v sore for a few mins (everyone in the waiting room said the same) and I really wish I'd known to bring sun glasses along - I could barely walk to the station afterwards as I needed to shield my eyes from the light. My vision isn't yet back to normal a couple of hours later and I am regretful that I have meetings shortly at which I shall be very blinky!

That’s naughty of them not to mention sunglasses on your appointment letter @MollyBolt It usually says something about not driving for hours after the appointment and to bring a pair of sunglasses. I even keep mine on indoors if it’s very bright as I find the drops/lack of focus can make me feel a bit nauseous.

Has anyone tried this, does it work? I'll have to give it a go and see.

Tried it with hypo-treatment coke and a Contour XT meter…

1724279711582.jpeg

Back