What happens when you are unable to give insulin to yourself if your T1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiscon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’m currently on a pump but because I’ve got Alzheimer’s PCA the hospital have said they are not sure how much longer I can stay it (bit frightening) if I then have to go back to injections am not sure how long I will manage to see the dosage as my eyesight isn’t that great and PCA caused problems. I don’t have any family near by so am worried what will happen, any ideas?

Depending on which insulin pen you use, you could probably 'count the clicks' as you turn the dosage knob?

That’s worrying for you. I’m sorry you’re losing your independence like that.

If you’re unable to do your own insulin treatments then you would need residential nursing care. It’s worth looking at your options before it becomes a necessity and discussing things like funding. As your need would be medical at least some of the funding would be paid for but it can be difficult to get full funding so having someone walk you through the process is helpful. You need to ask about “NHS continuing care” and be assessed by a multidisciplinary team. If you don’t qualify for continuing care then only the nursing element and not the residential element of care is paid so it can be expensive but given your complex needs it’s worth appealing if you are turned down for continuing care.

It’s also worth having power of attorney in place so that family (or whoever you designate) can involved in medical (and financial) decisions even if they’re not local. Being able to plan ahead before these things are needed makes it all much simpler but it’s not easy having to face these decisions.

Hello and welcome! How long have you been Type 1/

I spent a period of over a year in two hospitals and a care home following a LKBA (Left Below Knee Amputation) after treatment was delayed for many months pre- and during first lockdown. In the hospital there was a part-time HCA who seemed to understand my diabetes better than all of the nurses. One day I asked her how she knew so much. It turned out she also did home (health) care visits and gave a number of people their insulin (needle phobia, eyesight issues, etc.) after checking (or seeing) BG. The care home also had morning and evening district nurse visits to do the same. In fact I was the only one managing my own insulin. Home visits become an issue if the person is unsuitable for only two visits a day or cannot recognise and treat a hypo! Good luck!

Last edited:
Yes remember them all and not knowing what my glucose level was till I had a hospital visit and then it was only for that day x

I remember being very pleased with a blue (or very slightly green) urine test! And how hot the test tube could get!

I remember being very pleased with a blue (or very slightly green) urine test! And how hot the test tube could get!
Well of course it got ruddy hot - those Clinitest tablets boiled whatever they were dropped in! :rofl:

I don't mage you would need a full face visor and Kevlar heat proof gloves!

I was told for decades to aim at 1/4% tobacco. When I brought my first meter for £200 (c.1982) the clinic would only give you 25 strips for 6 months despite me establishing I could be 0% at a BG of 11 and 2% with a BG of 12! The additional strips I brought were costlier than smoking! :( or 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back