What happens at a insulin pump clinic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’ve just got an appointment to attend an insulin pump clinic over video for a few weeks, this is new to me as I wasn’t even expecting to have one. The doctor bought it up at my last clinic appointment but I wasn’t expecting to be allowed one because my sugars are up and down.
What happens at the first appointment?

No idea 🙂
As it's for a 1st pump though be prepared 🙂
Make sure you have a list of questions you want answered.
Show them what you have done to fix your problems, ie., basal changes, carb ratio changes, proper carb counting and corrections.

Do write everything down before the apt, because it's so easy to forget things.

Good luck.

Have you been interested in moving to pump therapy for a while @WreckTangle ?

I have heard of two things that this might be…

One is a sort of ‘show and tell’ for people interested in starting on a pump where they give you a bit more information about it, show you the tech, explain how it works, explain the differences if the clinic offers multiple pump brands, that sort of thing.

The second is very much like @Pumper_Sue says, an appointment to assess your suitability as an individual. So yes, a list of the challenges you have with BG management, and how you think a pump would help will be very helpful.

You might find it helpful to check out NICE TA151, the criteria for pump therapy in England, Wales and NI (Scotland have a SIGN equivalent)

Have you been interested in moving to pump therapy for a while @WreckTangle ?

I have heard of two things that this might be…

One is a sort of ‘show and tell’ for people interested in starting on a pump where they give you a bit more information about it, show you the tech, explain how it works, explain the differences if the clinic offers multiple pump brands, that sort of thing.

The second is very much like @Pumper_Sue says, an appointment to assess your suitability as an individual. So yes, a list of the challenges you have with BG management, and how you think a pump would help will be very helpful.

You might find it helpful to check out NICE TA151, the criteria for pump therapy in England, Wales and NI (Scotland have a SIGN equivalent)

I think it's the first one you mentioned as they did mention a "saline pump" and an "insulin pump" They mentioned in the letter that I would be sent the saline one to start with. There's been no talk really about it apart from the appointment at the clinic last year, they seemed to offer me it, I think mainly for my hypos. I am not too sure, as I have heard many people tell me they don't just offer them, but it feels like they have? I don't even know why or if I actually want a pump as it worries my mum and me both. I guess we will find out on the 17th of February over the video call.

Thanks, @everydayupsanddowns, and @Pumper_Sue I will make sure to ask questions and find out a bit more about it as I have said I am not quite sure if this is what I want, I know it won't be easier than the sensor.

I think it's the first one you mentioned as they did mention a "saline pump" and an "insulin pump" They mentioned in the letter that I would be sent the saline one to start with. There's been no talk really about it apart from the appointment at the clinic last year, they seemed to offer me it, I think mainly for my hypos. I am not too sure, as I have heard many people tell me they don't just offer them, but it feels like they have? I don't even know why or if I actually want a pump as it worries my mum and me both. I guess we will find out on the 17th of February over the video call.

Thanks, @everydayupsanddowns, and @Pumper_Sue I will make sure to ask questions and find out a bit more about it as I have said I am not quite sure if this is what I want, I know it won't be easier than the sensor.
Moving to a pump does bring a lot of fears and worries. The biggest fear is fear of the unknown 🙂 With pumping everyone goes through it, so you are normal 🙂
Yes pumps are hard work and very frustrating to start with and quite often the new user feels like throwing it out of the window. This soon passes and you will love your pump once you know how you operate it.

Do invest in the book pumping insulin by John Walsh (amazon) it will be the best investment you ever make.
You also have many forum member who will be willing to help you out and explain things as you go along.

Moving to a pump does bring a lot of fears and worries. The biggest fear is fear of the unknown 🙂 With pumping everyone goes through it, so you are normal 🙂
Yes pumps are hard work and very frustrating to start with and quite often the new user feels like throwing it out of the window. This soon passes and you will love your pump once you know how you operate it.

Do invest in the book pumping insulin by John Walsh (amazon) it will be the best investment you ever make.
Hi @Pumper_Sue, the latest edition of this book on Amazon is October 2016. Knowing that this sort of technology is advancing so very quickly just now, is this book, in your opinion, still the best way to both get an understanding of the principles and what exists today?
You also have many forum member who will be willing to help you out and explain things as you go along.

Hi @Pumper_Sue, the latest edition of this book on Amazon is October 2016. Knowing that this sort of technology is advancing so very quickly just now, is this book, in your opinion, still the best way to both get an understanding of the principles and what exists today?
I have the version going back to the year dot and yes still relevant, The 2016 one has CGM as well. I see there's a kindle version, so not sure if that's even newer.
Hopefully other pumpers will be along with an update soon.

I’ve just got an appointment to attend an insulin pump clinic over video for a few weeks, this is new to me as I wasn’t even expecting to have one. The doctor bought it up at my last clinic appointment but I wasn’t expecting to be allowed one because my sugars are up and down.
What happens at the first appointment?
You should not be to worried about it.

At first they probably will discuss with you about the possibility of a pump and the difference between injections and pump (if not done yet).
Lateron they'll show you the different possible pumps and for you to check and which you prefer (if not done yet).

With NHS you should have a kind of 3 days introduction-course in some form, which includes basal-rate testing and adaption and how to get your rates of glucose-correction and carb/insulin rates.

This sounds a lot but they'll surely give you advice on it and help you for some time and you'll see that's going fast and you'll learn to appreciate very fast in comparison with injections, etc...

@RTI - it will most likely differ according to where in England your hospital therefore your CCG, happens to be, and the expertise and interest of the staff at the clinic. Not all of them everywhere are bang up to date or even forward thinking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back