what does this mean?

Andy_B1969

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
I went to see my doctor today about a different matter to my type 2 diabetes and while i was there my doctor told me after my recent blood test ?? came down from 98 to 45 ( i dont know what this means and i should have asked ) the doc told me i had done phenomely well as i was only diagnosed in July...

I know the numbers are related to my blood sugar but is 45 a good number, am i still in the type 2 range or coming out of it?

many regards

I went to see my doctor today about a different matter to my type 2 diabetes and while i was there my doctor told me after my recent blood test ?? came down from 98 to 45 ( i dont know what this means and i should have asked ) the doc told me i had done phenomely well as i was only diagnosed in July...

I know the numbers are related to my blood sugar but is 45 a good number, am i still in the type 2 range or coming out of it?

many regards
You've dropped into the pre-diabetes, or 'at risk of diabetes' range (42-47), so yes - you've done phenomenally well.

One of your blood tests would have been a HBA1c - this provides an average of your blood glucose levels over the last 3 months. It is in different units to your finger prick measurement which tell you your BG at this exact time because it measures something slightly different.
HBA1c is the standard blood test used to determine whether you have diabetes or not with 48 being used as th threshold for type 2 diabetes and 42 being used as the threshold for pre-diabetes. So a reduction from 98 to 48 is fantastic and puts you out of the diabetes category into pre-diabetic.

You can read more about the hba1c test here: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about-diabetes/looking-after-diabetes/hba1c

But congratulations on your work and results. It is brilliant.

@Andy_B1969 it means just what your doc told you, you have done phenomenally well and a well done from me.

You should be very proud of yourself because going from 98 to 45 must have taken a lot of dedication.
I wont try and explain just what it means as @helli has done that perfectly.

Alan 😉

many regards
No longer in the diabetic range is what it means - and if you continue in the same way you could possibly be in the normal range in another 3 months.
I did 91 to 47 and then 41 at the 6 month test - it felt pretty good back then, and I was still down in the low 40s at the 7 year test.
At the moment I am doing a shake and small meal experiment for the test due on Monday, for the 8th year mark - see if that makes a difference to my HbA1c and maybe gets rid of a bit of weight in the process.

Congratulations @ndy_b1969 on achieving such as good reduction on your HbA1c readings. May I be very rude and ask what changes you made to diet and exercise and what medication you have been prescribed? I am still working hard on getting my blood glucose levels down.

Congratulations @ndy_b1969 on achieving such as good reduction on your HbA1c readings. May I be very rude and ask what changes you made to diet and exercise and what medication you have been prescribed? I am still working hard on getting my blood glucose levels down.
Thanks for your reply to my post i will try and explain the changes i made which imo were small and im amazed at the results that came from it, firstly i was put on metformin 500mg and i started off with 1 in the morning, then the following week i increased the dosage to 1 in te evening also then the third week 2 in the morning and in the forth week 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon so i have been on 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening for a couple of weeks now

I cut all all sugar, no sugar at all bar the odd gram here or there in some of the foods i was having, cut all processed food no bread ,no crisps, no sweets, no potato ( chips/mash etc) ....really upped my veg intake but i only eat sprouts ,green beans and carrots everyday with a bit of protein( chicken/ fish and the odd beefburger) ..and the occasional omelette

2 meals a day breakfast , raspberries, blackberries and avocado with Greek yogurt with 1 Weetabix crushed on top, ten some chia seeds and ground cinnamon ( i have had this everyday for about 6 weeks now

lunch usually just a tin of oily fish like mackerel or sardines and a couple of 100% dark chocolate

joined a gym and started walking the the treadmill everyday for 1 hour ( average 5 miles per day )

nothing special but i hope you can take something away from the above that helps

Thanks for your reply to my post i will try and explain the changes i made which imo were small and im amazed at the results that came from it, firstly i was put on metformin 500mg and i started off with 1 in the morning, then the following week i increased the dosage to 1 in te evening also then the third week 2 in the morning and in the forth week 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon so i have been on 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening for a couple of weeks now

I cut all all sugar, no sugar at all bar the odd gram here or there in some of the foods i was having, cut all processed food no bread ,no crisps, no sweets, no potato ( chips/mash etc) ....really upped my veg intake but i only eat sprouts ,green beans and carrots everyday with a bit of protein( chicken/ fish and the odd beefburger) ..and the occasional omelette

2 meals a day breakfast , raspberries, blackberries and avocado with Greek yogurt with 1 Weetabix crushed on top, ten some chia seeds and ground cinnamon ( i have had this everyday for about 6 weeks now

lunch usually just a tin of oily fish like mackerel or sardines and a couple of 100% dark chocolate

joined a gym and started walking the the treadmill everyday for 1 hour ( average 5 miles per day )

nothing special but i hope you can take something away from the above that helps
So pretty well a low carb approach which is successful for many, so very well done.

Thanks for sharing your secrets @Andy_B1969

Glad you've found something that has worked so well for you. Keep doing what you're doing!

many regards
Well done. You've done amazingly!

Back