what do you make of this

Status
Not open for further replies.

am64

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
:confused:i had to go to supermarket at about 2pm and had a small bottle of luxcosade .... i just really felt like one....i tested BS about 1hr later and it was 10.6 😱 so tested again after another hour and bs 4.9 ...so what do you all make of that ???:confused:

:confused:i had to go to supermarket at about 2pm and had a small bottle of luxcosade .... i just really felt like one....i tested BS about 1hr later and it was 10.6 😱 so tested again after another hour and bs 4.9 ...so what do you all make of that ???:confused:

Lucozade will hit your BG immediately (hence its use in hypos), so it was probably well on its way down an hour later. The 4.9 must be your fasting level!

Lucozade will hit your BG immediately (hence its use in hypos), so it was probably well on its way down an hour later. The 4.9 must be your fasting level!

i wonder how much it was directly after i drank it???
4.9 fasting level thats good isnt it?? soz but i seem to have been a bit all over the place at moment i normally rarely go over 7.5 and rarely under 5.2 I know the lucozade would send me high but my body reponded normally and brought it back down quickly !:confused: brain today is very confused!

That's about what I would have expected. Why are you confused?

I suppose i thought that it would still be high cos it went so high .....

I agree! I think you are lucky not hit a higher number! I always have a longer effect after drinking it though!

Sounds good though hon, if you can clear numbers like that on Lucozade then overall I should imagine you have some good healthy numbers! 🙂

thanks i thought that was the case so had some yoghurt after tea ive been avioding sugar totally but maybe i can actually tolerate some in yoghurts, fruit etc...ive just opened my new bottle of strips so testing and experiementing i will go xxxx
ps im lucky no problems getting strips xx

Reactive Hypoglycemia ? heavy carb load rockets bgs but pancreas clobbers it with massive insulin output. opposite of a liver Dump.

Maybe you can have a little more than you have been. Its good you have got the strips you can experiment some more.

Well, you have gone in head first with the Lucozade! I would be interested in how long it takes you to clear slower carbs hon, a big pasta or something. How do you normally do?

Reactive Hypoglycemia ? heavy carb load rockets bgs but pancreas clobbers it with massive insulin output. opposite of a liver Dump.

peter can you explain more ?? my insulin obviously is being made and working well following that test ....maybe time for another HbA1c last was 4 months ago 6.4 ....but again im lucky i can have them every 3 months if i want

sugar i have been in the range of 5.2-7.5 for ages apart from recently when they started to fluxtuate but ive had a sinky cold xx

Well done hon, thats a great place to be! 🙂

peter can you explain more ?? my insulin obviously is being made and working well following that test ....maybe time for another HbA1c last was 4 months ago 6.4 ....but again im lucky i can have them every 3 months if i want

In the early years of Type 2 Diabetes the bgs can bounce around and change quite quickly. if you have a heavy dose of fast acting carbs ( like lucozade) the body's Glucostat senses the rapid rise and answers with a great big dollop of insulin. Which drives you low quickly in turn. It is generally called "Reactive Hypoglycemia" ( though that is also a medical condition in its own right).
You weren't actually hypo at 4.9 but your pancreas obviously reacted violently to the lucozade. As the years progress you get less of these extreme reactions because the beta cells in the pancreas are constantly heading south and can't produce big dollops of insulin on demand.
The opposite of this is a "Liver Dump". Exercise or something else drives the bg too low and the liver responds with huge amounts of glucose sending it high very quickly.
the thing is not to get on a yo-yoing merry-go-round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back