What do you eat when the last thing you want to do is eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imsweetenough

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm supposed to take my evening insulin round about now but I really can't face any food and my BG is already fairly low. What do you guys eat when you really can't face anything? I'm not nauseus but I am borderline nauseus. I tried soup yesterday but it was such a struggle. I think it's the heat. I've always lost my appetite when it's hot. Hope you're all doing ok.

What type of insulin are you taking?
if you have a fast acting insulin that you take with food and a slow acting insulin you take once or twice a day, when you don’t fancy eating, you don’t need your meal time insulin. However, you should always take your slow acting insulin - it does not need to be taken with food.

If you are on a mixed insulin, you have less flexibility, unfortunately.

What type of insulin are you taking?
if you have a fast acting insulin that you take with food and a slow acting insulin you take once or twice a day, when you don’t fancy eating, you don’t need your meal time insulin.

If you are on a mixed insulin, you have less flexibility, unfortunately.
M3 Humulin. 30/70 split fast acting vs basal. If this was morning I wouldn't worry because my resistance is high so I can get away with skipping breakfast with virtually no movement in my BG. But in the evening I'm very sensistive to my insulin. I should have some liquid meal replacements in really.

M3 Humulin. 30/70 split fast acting vs basal. If this was morning I wouldn't worry because my resistance is high so I can get away with skipping breakfast with virtually no movement in my BG. But in the evening I'm very sensistive to my insulin. I should have some liquid meal replacements in really.

How many grams of carbs do you usually have? Could you eat a bowl of cereal? Digestive biscuits and cheese? Yoghurt plus fruit? Ice cream plus a digestive? Toast and butter? A glass of milk with cocoa powder in for flavour plus some biscuits?

Milk and biccies it is. I normally have around 100g of carbs.

Ah, so quite a few carbs to make up with tempting/bland food. I’d probably go for a bowl of granola and milk in that case (weigh the granola) as that’s quite carby for a decent-sized bowl. Flapjacks are good too if you have any. Magnums and Cornettos obviously aren’t ideal but do make up the carbs. Bananas are highish carbs, so a banana sandwich would be a good chunk of your carbs.

I sometimes have oven fries when I don’t fancy much. The salt plus some ketchup usually goes down well.

If I don’t feel like eating then I don’t eat. You don’t have this flexibility with mixed insulin so I’d suggest toast and jam or a sandwich to get some carbs in, but if you’d like that option of flexibility around meal timings and content then speak to your DSN about switching to seperate fast and slow insulins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back