What do you do when nothing works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardsUsername

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Serious question. That many have probably asked themselves. Just thought it would be interesting to get others take on it.

For me. I would walk away from the problem and come back to it with a hopefully refreshed mind.

I also wouldn't rule out giving up but that would be the last resort.

I've got a current problem with my feet as an example. Just about nothing has worked permanently. So far. Red swelling, burning, numbness etc. Walking has become a major problem. Waiting for a hospital appointment. Can't come soon enough.

Last edited:
You need your feet. Id not give up. i know your waiting on hospital but id be going asking for help to cope with it mean while. Even phoning they might advise. id not leave it.
Says she who will not go and get checked for fear …

You need your feet. Id not give up. i know your waiting on hospital but id be going asking for help to cope with it mean while. Even phoning they might advise. id not leave it.
Says she who will not go and get checked for fear …
Thanks. You are correct, I should really be giving them a call.

Thanks. You are correct, I should really be giving them a call.
Don't let them ignore you.
I've had a bit of bother with my feet and legs ever since I had the Covid AZ jab - but I keep to a routine of using cold and hot water on my feet and massaging my legs, and it has meant that even though things still go wrong, they come right again.
Our shower is the sort with a flexible hose so the water can be directed onto my legs from fairly close up, and I am persistent in the treatment. Swelling, redness and excruciating pain have all been resolved at different times over the past few years.

Don't let them ignore you.
I've had a bit of bother with my feet and legs ever since I had the Covid AZ jab - but I keep to a routine of using cold and hot water on my feet and massaging my legs, and it has meant that even though things still go wrong, they come right again.
Our shower is the sort with a flexible hose so the water can be directed onto my legs from fairly close up, and I am persistent in the treatment. Swelling, redness and excruciating pain have all been resolved at different times over the past few years.
Thanks. I will make that call.

I'm doing the same now daily. Submerging my feet in cold water throughout the day. Neuropathy was the initial diagnoses. Now it's Vasculitis. Virtually no-one seems to get the severity of the problem. The one health assistant just said drink plenty of water when I asked her about having to go on the bus to an event 10 miles away. Just a little bit risky considering it looks like my blood vessels are going to burst.

Thanks. I will make that call.

I'm doing the same now daily. Submerging my feet in cold water throughout the day. Neuropathy was the initial diagnoses. Now it's Vasculitis. Virtually no-one seems to get the severity of the problem. The one health assistant just said drink plenty of water when I asked her about having to go on the bus to an event 10 miles away. Just a little bit risky considering it looks like my blood vessels are going to burst.
Are you adding in massage?
Once the cold water takes effect the hotter water expands the vessels and the massage helps get the blood moving.
The nurses and midwives in my ancestry knew the power of their hands. My father's mother almost died when he was born and her sister brought her back using cpr back in 1917. The GP was already writing out the certificate and had to go to the coroner's court to get it corrected. The family were renowned for saving limbs after injury.

Are you adding in massage?
Once the cold water takes effect the hotter water expands the vessels and the massage helps get the blood moving.
The nurses and midwives in my ancestry knew the power of their hands. My father's mother almost died when he was born and her sister brought her back using cpr back in 1917. The GP was already writing out the certificate and had to go to the coroner's court to get it corrected. The family were renowned for saving limbs after injury.
Thanks. Sort of. The massaging is something that I read about and watched a youtube how to do it. I really need to do it properly though if you know what I mean. You're the first person I've spoken to that confirms the submerging in water is a thing. Everyone else has just given me a blank look.

Thanks. Sort of. The massaging is something that I read about and watched a youtube how to do it. I really need to do it properly though if you know what I mean. You're the first person I've spoken to that confirms the submerging in water is a thing. Everyone else has just given me a blank look.
It is very old school.
Back before the NHS was thought of, midwives and doctors were often at loggerheads, and a lot of the wisdom of midwives has been lost.
Reviving babies by plunging them alternately into hot and cold water if they did not survive birth is one such practice.

It is very old school.
Back before the NHS was thought of, midwives and doctors were often at loggerheads, and a lot of the wisdom of midwives has been lost.
Reviving babies by plunging them alternately into hot and cold water if they did not survive birth is one such practice.
Interesting. And yes a lot has been lost over time. My Dad was very proud of where he grew up and was not very happy when all the old buildings got replaced and such. The history.

Sorry to hear about your tootsies @RichardsUsername

Hope you can speedily find out what might be causing your pain and discomfort. And what treatments or therapies might be helpful.

Do you thunk it might be connected to nerves? I saw an article / item about positive results from improving gut biome for neuropathic pain.

Thanks everyday. Just about anything kicks them off. Nerves is what I presumed. But I'm guessiing it's more than one thing. I'm a fairly patient person so we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if they diagnose it as Neuropathy again. I'll look into getting some of those transplants while I'm waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back