What do you do if you are ill and dont feel like eating???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny Bear

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Was just wondering what happens if you are ill and either dont want to or cant eat, or even if you're being sick. My daughter appeared to be coming down with something but has felt better and this is not an issue that has come up for us yet!
Thanks,
Jenny Bear

I think the Diabetes UK site has some standard issue guidelines about this.

From memory you should do plenty of testing (bgs are likely to run higher) and keep fluids up. Keep taking basal as usual. I've found it better to inject after I eat anything so I can reduce the dose if I can't manage it all. I think if you can't keep anything down for any length of time you are advised to get yourself to hospital.

I think this post would be better in the General Messageboard for all to read/help answer?? any chance Mods??

Thank you

Bernie xx 🙂

Hiya,

I guess it's different if you are on 2 injections as opposed to mdi... when i was on 2 jabs it was essential I ate as the insulin would be active whether we wanted it to be or not... so my parents would make me try & take down flat lucozade and dry cream crackers (ooh, yum! 😱). On mdi it was a bit easier to not have to eat much, albeit you might still sometimes need to give insulin as you tend to run higher when ill...

Hope that helps! 🙂

Personally, if I am not able to eat anything, I don't inject any fast-acting insulin. My BSs tend to run around 12 but I find this is better than having hypos as this can get dangerous when not able to eat/keep anything down. If I can eat small amounts then I inject as per what I am able to eat but usually inject afterwards when I am sure I have kept it down long enough for it to have an effect. I continue the long acting insulin as normal.

Was just wondering what happens if you are ill and either dont want to or cant eat, or even if you're being sick. My daughter appeared to be coming down with something but has felt better and this is not an issue that has come up for us yet!
Thanks,
Jenny Bear

Hi

I can't remember what regime we are talking about. If it is a pump then we don't worry about eating. Jessica went all day without eating the other week as she felt awful but we controlled the levels with the temp basals on the pump and all was fine. Takes a lot of hard work but doable. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back