What do the figures mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonSNJ

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My doctor told me I have a sugar level of '12', but what does that mean, and what would a normal level be?

I assume 12 is high (obviously, or I wouldnt be here!) but is it just over, farily high, or through the roof and into outer space type high?

Thanks for any help

Hello,

A non-diabetic person's blood range can be anywhere between 4-7 mmol/L and this is generally the range that we aim for.

Anything below 4 is considered a hypo (too low) and anything above 7 is considered hyper (too high)

12 is bit higher than you should be - all depends on how much sugar or carbs you've been eating. I'm sure our Type 2 members will be able to offer you some better advice on this.

As a Type 1 I've made many mistakes with what I've eaten and injected in the past. My record high was 34 and I've been as low as 0.8!!

NiVZ

Is the level of 12 from a random blood test or from an hba1c test (snapshot of the last 2-3months). If it is the latter then that is high, you'd want it down to the 6s or so. If a random test, definately stil high but how high depends on factors like when you ate etc.

Hi Simon,

Yes - 12 is quite high so you really need to work at getting it lower.

If you are a Type 2 on diet and exercise (or metformin tablets only) then getting it lower is usually not too difficult. Diet is a very powerful tool in bringing that about. I expect that you will already know about cutting out sugary foods and drinks. However, you may not know that cutting back on starchy carbohydrates - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice - helps tremendously too. Cutting back on those food types usually leads to a big improvement in blood glucose levels - and quickly too.

You will find that staicking around forums such as this will be very helpful to you too - especially until you understand better what you need to be doing to control your levels.

Good luck and best wishes - John

My doctor told me I have a sugar level of '12', but what does that mean, and what would a normal level be?

I assume 12 is high (obviously, or I wouldnt be here!) but is it just over, farily high, or through the roof and into outer space type high?

Thanks for any help

firstly welcome
as others have said it is high but depending on test... if HbA1c yes thats high but you should be getting medication which will help bring it down combined with diet and exercise ...if after food yes its high but it depends on how long after food. Have you been given a testing meter ? medication ?
The main thing is that you are aware of what is happening now and with control you will begin to feel much better and your levels will drop. we are all in this together so feel free to post any questions and remember no question is silly here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back